Constructing a Continuous Function with 2 Different Range Values

• Thread starter muzihc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, constructing a continuous function from a domain to a range with only two different values appears impossible. However, according to the intermediate value theorem and the definition of continuity, it is indeed possible. This has been confirmed by a professor and good friends in the field of mathematics, despite initial doubts. Additionally, in the usual topology, any function from a discrete set is considered continuous.
muzihc

Homework Statement

Provide an example of f:D-->R which is continuous but whose range has two different numbers only.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the range to have only two different values, it's seems impossible to construct a continuous function without jumps. In fact, it seems like the intermediate value theorem could prove this.

I've asked my professor if this is possible, he says it is, and that studying the definitions of continuous closely will reveal it.

Then I've asked a few friends, who are very good at math, and they say it isn't. I also asked Dr. Math, and got a response from Dr. Tom, who says it isn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the usual topology, any function from a discrete set is continuous.

snipez90 said:
In the usual topology, any function from a discrete set is continuous.

Thanks

I feel like a moron.

Related to Constructing a Continuous Function with 2 Different Range Values

1. How can I construct a continuous function with two different range values?

To construct a continuous function with two different range values, you can use the piecewise function method. This involves dividing the domain into two separate intervals and assigning a different range value to each interval. Then, you can use a connecting line or curve to join the two intervals, creating a continuous function with two different range values.

2. What is the importance of constructing a continuous function with two different range values?

Constructing a continuous function with two different range values can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications. For example, it can be used to model real-life situations where there are two distinct outcomes or values. It can also be used to represent functions with discontinuities or sharp changes in behavior.

3. Can a continuous function have more than two different range values?

Yes, a continuous function can have more than two different range values. In fact, a continuous function can have an infinite number of range values. This is because a continuous function can take on any value within its domain, and the range is the set of all possible output values of a function.

4. Is it possible to construct a continuous function with two different range values where the two values are equal?

Yes, it is possible to construct a continuous function with two different range values that are equal. This can be achieved by assigning the same range value to two different intervals in the piecewise function method. The connecting line or curve will then join these two intervals, resulting in a continuous function with two equal range values.

5. Are there any other methods for constructing a continuous function with two different range values?

Yes, there are other methods for constructing a continuous function with two different range values. One method is using a trigonometric function, such as a sine or cosine function, to create a continuous wave with two different amplitude or range values. Another method is using a logarithmic or exponential function, which can produce a continuous curve with two different range values.