Looking for a particular function

In summary, the professor is discussing a function that has the following properties: it is continuous, has a continuous derivative, and takes the values 2, 2^2, 2^3, 2^4,..., 2^n. He asks for someone to help him construct the function.
Frank Einstein
Misplaced Homework Thread
TL;DR Summary: I want to find a function with f'>0, f''<0 and takes the values 2, 2^2, 2^3, 2^4,..., 2^n

Hello everyone.

A professor explained the St. Petersburgh paradox in class and the concept of utility function U used to explain why someone won't play a betting game with an infinite expected value.

Then he talked about Kar Meyer's finding of a bounded utility function and still infinite payoff and told us to find a bounded function with the following properties:

f'>0, f''<0 and takes the values 2, 2^2, 2^3, 2^4, ..., 2^n

The values 2, 2^2, 2^3, 2^4, ..., 2^n have to be taken for x=1,2,3,4,..., n.

I have been thinking and reading about this but I have found no answer. I have even read Meyer's article and there he says that if the amount gained per bet is exp(2^n) then the expected value of the logarithm of the gain is infinite.

Thus, I think that either my professor has made a mistake or is trolling my class. However, before writing an email telling him that what he asks is impossible I would like to see if someone here agrees or disagrees with me.

Any answer is appreciated.
Best regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there are a few assumptions one needs to make about ##f##. What I understand you mean is:
##f: [1,\infty) \to \mathbb{R}## is a function with the property ##f(n)=2^n##. Furthermore ##f'(x)>0## and ##f''(x)<0## in all the domain.
Then, ##f## is continuous with a continuous derivative and we can use the Mean Value Theorem:
Lets choose ##a_0=1, a_1=2, a_3=3##, applying the MVT twice we get
$$f'(b_0) = \frac{f(a_1)-f(a_0)}{a_1-a_0} = \frac{f(2)-f(1)}{2-1} = 2^2 - 2^1 = 2$$
$$f'(b_1) = \frac{f(a_2)-f(a_1)}{a_2-a_1} = \frac{f(3)-f(2)}{3-2} = 2^3 - 2^2 = 4$$
with ##b_0\in (1,2)## and ##b_1 \in (2,3)##. Now, whatever these values are we can write
$$f''(c) = \frac{f'(b_1)- f'(b_0)}{b_1-b_0} = \frac{2}{b_1-b_0} > 0$$
which is a contradiction to the satatement ##f''(x)<0##.

Now, notice that if the conditions ##f'>0## and ##f''<0## are not applied to the whole domain, and (for example) are only valid for the natural numbers, then the answer is trivial since you can construct functions ##f_n(x)## with the conditions ##f(n)=2^n, f'(n)=1, f''(n)=-1##. Then f(x) can be defined as a piecewise function and will fulfil all the requirements.

Likes Frank Einstein
Thanks for the answer. I will try to understand it.

However, could you please explain to me how to construct the function $f$?

Best regards.

1. What is the purpose of looking for a particular function?

The purpose of looking for a particular function is to find a specific mathematical relationship between two or more variables. This can help in solving problems, making predictions, and understanding patterns in data.

2. How do I search for a particular function?

There are a few ways to search for a particular function. One way is to use a search engine or online database to find a function that fits your criteria. Another way is to use mathematical techniques, such as graphing or algebra, to identify a function that meets your needs.

3. What factors should I consider when looking for a particular function?

When looking for a particular function, you should consider the variables involved, the type of relationship you are looking for (linear, exponential, etc.), and the domain and range of the function. It's also important to consider the context of the problem or data you are working with.

4. How can I determine if a particular function is the best fit for my data?

To determine if a particular function is the best fit for your data, you can use statistical methods such as regression analysis or correlation coefficients. These techniques can help you assess the strength and significance of the relationship between your variables.

5. Can I create my own custom function for a specific purpose?

Yes, you can create your own custom function for a specific purpose. This can be done by manipulating existing functions or by creating a new function from scratch. However, it's important to ensure that your custom function is mathematically valid and accurately represents the relationship between your variables.