Constructing a Crank and Slotted Lever Mechanism in 3 Days

In summary, the conversation is about a summer training project to make a scaled model of a mechanism in a machine shop. The expert has decided to make a crank and slotted lever mechanism. However, others have suggested other mechanisms that are easier and faster to make. The expert has two days to come up with ideas, and suggestions are welcome.
ank_gl
hey i have got to make a scaled model of any mechanism that we see around(or maybe we don't sometimes) in the machine shop in under 3 days as our summer training project. we are provided with all the raw stuff and machines that one usually sees in machining shop. i have decided to make a crank and slotted lever mechanism(initially thought of making an air gun put our instructor didn't want me to killo:):devil: anyone arpund:smile:).
But if anyone could suggest something more interesting:rolleyes:, i am looking forward to it. please suggest anything that can be made in under 12 hours(thats how much time i have got). i ll start the work on Monday, so i have got 2 days to finalize it. Any suggestion is welcome. i desperately need to do something this time :zzz:

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about a meat grinder?
You can do the screw auger on a lathe, the body and cross-bores on a milling machine, the grid on a drill press, and you still get to make your crank for it. :biggrin:
It's not as dangerous as an airgun, but you can destroy stuff with it. :devil:

A can crusher, with your own ingenious force multiplier.

meat grinder, can crusher - they are good

still any mechanism that you people might want to suggest, i have got 2 days b4 i start. so please give me few more ideas
and thanks berkeman for those links, some yrs back i saw them, but still they are interesting to watch

ank_gl said:
meat grinder, can crusher - they are good

Rats. Beaten out by Danger and Wolram again! :blushing:

berkeman said:
Rats. Beaten out by Danger and Wolram again! :blushing:

nah, not beaten, actually jack will take some time to build
pendulum clock and Windmill-powered well water pump, other people are making them
but hey, remember you have still got 2 days to beat them:-p:-p:biggrin::biggrin:

I don't know how fast you can work (not just your personal pace, but due to limited machine access), so I also don't know how limited your options are. I'll fire up a few more anyhow.
log-splitter; fly-ball governor as is seen on old steam engines (or the whole steam engine, if you can manage it); even better, a Sterling engine; pencil sharpener; Ferrari (nah, that's pushing it); telegraph key; milk separator (although most people have never heard of one); construction crane; coffee grinder; music-box; draughting machine; 3 or 4 speed manual transmission; fishing reel; gyroscope; Roots blower; Vise-Grip type pliers... okay, I'm getting tired now.

Danger said:
I don't know how fast you can work (not just your personal pace, but due to limited machine access), so I also don't know how limited your options are. I'll fire up a few more anyhow.
log-splitter; fly-ball governor as is seen on old steam engines (or the whole steam engine, if you can manage it); even better, a Sterling engine; pencil sharpener; Ferrari (nah, that's pushing it); telegraph key; milk separator (although most people have never heard of one); construction crane; coffee grinder; music-box; draughting machine; 3 or 4 speed manual transmission; fishing reel; gyroscope; Roots blower; Vise-Grip type pliers... okay, I'm getting tired now.

Show-off :biggrin:

Hey, I'm at work... so I've got nothing better to do.

Danger said:

options are not limited by raw material and machines. i have full access to them
reciprocating engine mechanism, manual transmission, steering mechanism, vice; i suggested but earlier batches did 'em
sterling engine, check this out http://www.qrmc.com/hydralinkanimation.gif .
roots blower; i don't know if i would be able to machine the lobes,(can it be done on CNC, but still we are not allowed to work on CNC)
milk separator (although most people have never heard of one); i am one of them
construction crane, governor and gyro are good
Ferrari; that's pushing me, i would stick to Mclaren Merc:-p

Last edited by a moderator:
ank_gl said:
milk separator (although most people have never heard of one); i am one of them

I don't actually expect you to make one, but for curiosity's sake here's what I mean. Specifically the red one part-way down the page. There's a second link in the description that shows how it works. Basically, it's just a specialized centrifuge.
http://http://dairyantiques.com/Cream_Separators_1.html"
Actually, I'm quite offended that something I used regularly as a kid is considered a museum piece.

Nice link, by the way; I've never seen an engine like that one.

Wooley, your link doesn't work for me. :frown:

edit: Must be a problem with this stupid work computer. My own link doesn't work for me either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
Actually, I'm quite offended that something I used regularly as a kid is considered a museum piece.

now i remember, my grandma used to have one. it was made of wood and it was quite simple to make actually

Related to Constructing a Crank and Slotted Lever Mechanism in 3 Days

1. How difficult is it to construct a crank and slotted lever mechanism in 3 days?

Constructing a crank and slotted lever mechanism in 3 days can be challenging, especially if you do not have prior experience with mechanical engineering or similar projects. It requires a good understanding of the mechanism's design and functionality, as well as proficiency in using tools and materials.

2. What materials are needed to construct a crank and slotted lever mechanism?

The materials needed to construct a crank and slotted lever mechanism may vary, depending on the specific design and size of the mechanism. However, some common materials include metal rods, bearings, screws, washers, and gears. It is also recommended to have basic tools such as pliers, screwdrivers, and a drill on hand.

3. Is it possible to construct a crank and slotted lever mechanism in less than 3 days?

While it is possible to complete the construction of a crank and slotted lever mechanism in less than 3 days, it may require a higher level of skill and experience. It also depends on the complexity of the mechanism and the availability of materials and tools. It is important to plan ahead and make sure you have all the necessary resources before starting the project.

4. Can I use a 3D printer to construct a crank and slotted lever mechanism?

Yes, a 3D printer can be used to construct a crank and slotted lever mechanism. However, it may also require additional materials such as gears and bearings to ensure the mechanism's functionality. Additionally, the design and programming of the 3D model must be precise to ensure proper functioning of the mechanism.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take while constructing a crank and slotted lever mechanism?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions while constructing a crank and slotted lever mechanism. This may include wearing protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses, properly handling tools and materials, and following instructions carefully. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area and have a first-aid kit nearby in case of any accidents.