Constructing a Rube Goldberg Device - Need Ideas

In summary, a student is constructing a Rube Goldberg device for a physics project. The device must go through ten steps and involve five different energy changes, including potential, kinetic, rotational, electrical, light, magnetic, or stored chemical energy. The student is looking for ideas for eight more steps and is considering using a pool ball, electromagnets, a balloon, mold growth, a bowling ball, a shotgun, and a fire. One suggestion is to use an electric igniter to light sterno, which can then be used to heat water and drive a spinning mechanism to lift a gate and release a ball.
jawwzard
allright so I'm constructing a rube goldberg device as a side physics independent project and it has to go through ten steps to achieve the final outcome of lighting a bulb. i need some ideas for steps I'm drawin a blank.

it has to go through 5 different energy changes like potential, kinetic, rotational, electrical, light, magnetic, or stored chemical

some help guys?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i got a pool ball rolling down a hill and knocking over a stack of dominos so i got rotational kinetic and linear kinetic taken care of but i need 8 more steps b4 i get to the light bulb

Electromagnets are always good for this too.

You can do something where you put a balloon over a flask with water in it, then have something turn on a heater to boil the water which will inflate the balloon, which will knock something over

Or you could lay a piece of bread on a scale, and wait for mold to grow on and increase the mass measured which would move the scale, that would drop a piece of tobacco, then a Dave the squirrel would scamper over to the tobacco, but then he would be shocked with 10,000 volts and his temperature would go up which would...

Gotta have a bowling ball!

Ooooh yes, most important. And a shotguns.

jawwzard said:
allright so I'm constructing a rube goldberg device as a side physics independent project and it has to go through ten steps to achieve the final outcome of lighting a bulb. i need some ideas for steps I'm drawin a blank.

it has to go through 5 different energy changes like potential, kinetic, rotational, electrical, light, magnetic, or stored chemical

some help guys?

Well, it would be defintely cool if somewhere along the line you lit a fire. Not sure how you're going to do it - light a match? Flint & steel? An electrical igniter? Or what you'll burn. Especially if you want to keep it reasonably safe.

Safest thing I can think of off hand is to light some sterno with an electric igniter that they use for model rockets.Once you get the fire started, though, you can heat a kettle of water until it bolis. THis will drive something that spins around - with enough force to turn a crank. That can lift a gate to let a ball roll out or something.

Maybe that's too complicated, but it'd be a nice classic idea.

1. What is a Rube Goldberg device?

A Rube Goldberg device is a complex, overly engineered machine that performs a simple task in a convoluted and indirect way. It is usually made of everyday objects and relies on a series of chain reactions to complete a task.

2. How do I come up with ideas for my Rube Goldberg device?

The best way to come up with ideas for your Rube Goldberg device is to start with the end goal in mind and work backwards. Think of a simple task you want your machine to accomplish and then brainstorm creative ways to achieve that task with everyday objects.

3. What materials should I use to build my Rube Goldberg device?

You can use any everyday objects you have access to, such as dominoes, marbles, ramps, pulleys, and even kitchen utensils. The key is to use items that are easily accessible and can be connected together in interesting ways.

4. How do I ensure that my Rube Goldberg device works smoothly?

Building a Rube Goldberg device requires a lot of trial and error. It's important to test each component of the machine as you build it and make adjustments as needed. You may also want to use tools like tape, string, or hot glue to secure objects in place and ensure they stay in place during the chain reaction.

5. Can I build a Rube Goldberg device by myself?

While it is possible to build a Rube Goldberg device by yourself, it can be a challenging and time-consuming task. It may be helpful to work with a team or have someone assist you in building and testing the machine. This can also make the process more fun and collaborative.