Constructing General Solution for Abel Second Type ODE from Particular Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of constructing the general solution for Abel equations of second type using one or two particular solutions. It is mentioned that for the Riccati equation, three particular solutions are needed, but it is possible to use only two or even one for Abel equations, although it may require integration. This information was found in a manual for solving ODE's.
smallphi
I have Abel equation of second type. I've found one particular solution for sure, maybe two. Is it possible to construct the general solution from those with integration or whatever?

I know that is possible for Ricatti ODE and since Ricatti is particular case of Abel, I was wondering if similar tricks worked for Abel?

Physics news on Phys.org

It's possible with only two and even with only one, but it involves integration. I saw it in some manual for solving ODE's.

Last edited:

Related to Constructing General Solution for Abel Second Type ODE from Particular Solutions

1. What is the Abel Second Type ODE?

The Abel Second Type ODE is a type of ordinary differential equation that can be solved by utilizing particular solutions. It is named after the mathematician Niels Henrik Abel.

2. What is the process for constructing a general solution for the Abel Second Type ODE?

To construct a general solution for the Abel Second Type ODE, you first need to find a particular solution. Then, using this particular solution, you can apply a change of variables to transform the original equation into a separable equation. Finally, you can solve the separable equation to obtain the general solution.

3. How do particular solutions help in solving the Abel Second Type ODE?

Particular solutions provide a starting point for solving the Abel Second Type ODE. By finding a particular solution and using it to transform the equation into a separable one, we can then apply known techniques for solving separable equations to obtain the general solution.

4. Can any particular solution be used to construct the general solution for the Abel Second Type ODE?

No, not all particular solutions can be used to construct the general solution for the Abel Second Type ODE. The particular solution used must be such that it transforms the original equation into a separable one.

5. Are there any limitations to using particular solutions to solve the Abel Second Type ODE?

One limitation is that the particular solution used must be known or can be easily obtained. Additionally, particular solutions may not exist for all Abel Second Type ODEs, making this method of solving them not applicable in all cases.