Constructing Sine & Cosine Series for f(t)=t

In summary, the question asks for the construction of sine and cosine series for the function f(t)=t with a domain of 0<t<pi. The period of the function is assumed to be pi, as the domain is discontinuous at 0 and pi. A Fourier series of \frac{\pi}{2} - \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}sin(2nt) is derived, which may be correct but also depends on the interpretation of the question and whether it is asking for even and/or odd extensions of the function. The concept of even and odd extensions is implied in the question and the use of cosine and sine terms in a series. However, there is a possibility
pivoxa15
When a question asks Construct sine and cosine series for the function:
f(t)=t, 0<t<pi.

Should I assume the period of f(t) is pi? I think it must because the domain is discontinous at 0 and pi.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's a safe assumption.

I got a Fourier series
[tex]\frac{\pi}{2} - \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}sin(2nt)[/tex]

correct?

Last edited:
That's hard to say...

StatusX said:
That's hard to say...

Do you say this because the question was vague in that it could have been asking for an even and/or odd extension of the function, in which case my answer would be wrong because I assumed a period of [tex]\pi[/tex].

Last edited:
Sorry, my mistake (I didn't see you defined f(t) above). That looks right.

What do you think of the point I made in post 5?

Last edited:
I think if they didn't say anything about an even or odd extension of the function, you can assume the period is pi. Do you have any reason to think they might have implied otherwise?

In the answers section they quoted functions which were even and odd extentions. Sometimes the functions with period pi are the odd extenstion functions (although not this case) but the even functions never are. They should have mentioned about even and odd extensions in the question.

No, it was not necessary to say that, it was already implied. Cosine is an even function, sine is an odd function. Any "cosine series" is necessarily an even function, any "sine series" must be an odd function. The period is necessarily [itex]2\pi[/itex] with one interval from [itex][\pi, -
\pi][/itex].

The series I derived in post 3 has is a sin function but has only period [itex]\pi[/itex] and fits the domain in the question perfectly well but is not an odd extension of the function.

Last edited:
If they meant a sine series and a cosine series, ie, two different series, then they were looking for even/odd extensions of f(t). If they were looking for a single series involving both sine and cosine terms, then what you got is correct (remember pi/2=pi/2*cos(0) is a cosine term).

Last edited:
StatusX said:
If they meant a sine series and a cosine series, ie, two different series, then they were looking for periodic extensions of f(t). If they were looking for a single series involving both sine and cosine terms, then what you got is correct (remember pi/2=pi/2*cos(0) is a cosine term).

Good point. That was also probably what HallsofIvy meant as well. I guess a single consine term does not count as a series so it had to be a cosine series which corresponds to the even extension and one sine series corresponding to the even extension.

Related to Constructing Sine & Cosine Series for f(t)=t

1. How do you construct a sine series for f(t)=t?

To construct a sine series for f(t)=t, you need to use the formula: f(t) = a0/2 + sigma(1 to infinity) [an*cos(nt) + bn*sin(nt)], where a0 is the average value of f(t) over one period and an and bn are the coefficients of the cosine and sine terms, respectively. These coefficients can be found using the Fourier series formulas.

2. What is the purpose of constructing a cosine series for f(t)=t?

The purpose of constructing a cosine series for f(t)=t is to approximate the function using a combination of cosine functions with different frequencies. This can be useful in various applications such as signal processing and data analysis.

3. What is the difference between a sine series and a cosine series?

A sine series is a series of sine functions with different frequencies that can be used to approximate a given function. On the other hand, a cosine series is a series of cosine functions with different frequencies that can also be used to approximate a given function. The main difference between the two is that a sine series starts with a sine term while a cosine series starts with a cosine term.

4. How many terms are needed in a cosine series for f(t)=t to get a good approximation?

The number of terms needed in a cosine series for f(t)=t to get a good approximation depends on the level of accuracy desired. Generally, the more terms you include, the better the approximation will be. However, it is important to note that as the number of terms increases, the complexity of the series also increases.

5. Can a cosine series be used to approximate any function?

Yes, a cosine series can be used to approximate any function as long as the function meets the necessary conditions for a Fourier series, such as being periodic and square integrable. However, the convergence of the series may vary depending on the function and the number of terms included in the series.