Construction of a leyden jar?

In summary, a high school junior is attempting to construct a historically accurate working model of Benjamin Franklin's electric motor using two Leyden jars. They are seeking guidance on how to construct the jars accurately, including the type of metal for the electrode, whether a ball is necessary on the electrode, if the outer foil coating should cover the jar bottom, if the outer foil needs to be grounded, and if aluminum foil tape can be used for the coating. They are also looking for explanations in terms that a high school junior with limited electrical experience can understand. They have attempted using a salt water Leyden jar, but are open to other suggestions. Safety is also a concern and they are unsure of how to ground the outer foil layer without holding it themselves
chaddey
I'm a high school junior and doing a project on ben franklin. specifically I'm making a model of his electric motor which used two Leyden jars to operate. I want to make it a working model but I cannot get the leyden jars work. can anyone explain to me how to construct a historically accurate one that works? (what metal was the electrode, does the electrode have to have a ball on top, does the outer foil coating cover the jar bottom, does the outer foil have to be grounded, does aluminum foil tape work for the foil coatings, etc.) any and all information will be helpful and greatly appreciated. please try to respond in terms a high school junior without much electrical experience will understand.
attached are pictures of what I've tried to do based on information I found as a reference for what I'm trying to do. currently this is a salt water Leyden jar but I can do it differently if need be.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.JPG
    IMG_3689.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_3691.JPG
    IMG_3691.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 539
Engineering news on Phys.org
There are lots of hits on YouTube. For example

I think it would be better to use an open container with foil half way up inside and outside, because I think the use of water will make things damp and create leakage.
Do not charge it up to thousands of volts, by the way, for safety.

I'm trying to ground a Leyden jar without holding it myself. How do I ground the outer foil layer

1. What is a leyden jar?

A leyden jar is a type of capacitor that was first invented in the 18th century by Ewald Georg von Kleist and Pieter van Musschenbroek. It is used to store and release static electricity.

2. How does a leyden jar work?

A leyden jar works by using an insulating material, such as glass, to separate two conductive plates. One plate is connected to a source of static electricity, while the other plate is grounded. The insulator prevents the two plates from touching, but still allows for the build-up of electric charge on each plate. When the jar reaches its capacity, the electric charge can be released through a spark or used for experiments.

3. What are the components of a leyden jar?

A leyden jar consists of a glass jar or bottle, two metal plates, and an insulating material. The metal plates can be made of different materials, such as brass or aluminum, and can be shaped into different forms, such as cylinders or disks. The insulating material is typically a piece of rubber or wax that covers the inside and outside of the jar, leaving only a small area of the metal plates exposed.

4. What is the purpose of a leyden jar?

The main purpose of a leyden jar is to store and release static electricity. It was originally used in early scientific experiments, such as demonstrating the principles of electricity and creating sparks. Today, leyden jars are still used in various experiments and demonstrations, as well as in some high voltage equipment.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a leyden jar?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using a leyden jar. The stored electricity in the jar can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is recommended to use gloves and safety glasses when handling the jar. Additionally, the jar should be discharged before handling it to avoid receiving a shock. It is also important to keep the jar away from flammable materials and to use caution when experimenting with high voltage.