High electric field / droplet levitation

In summary: The levitation of droplets is not a trivial thing. Also look up the "electrostatic levitation" - a technique used in materials science to levitate and melt metallic samples without container contact.
phy_eng
Dear All,

I know this may sound a bit of a broad approach for a question but I would like to know what equipment I would need to create a very high electric field in order to levitate a non-highly conductive droplet (from water to water + salts but not metallic, in the milli-microscale). I will start doing some basic calculations soon but if someone could help me with ideas, equipment, considerations about the shape and materials of the electrodes or safety components that I will potentally need I would really appreciate it! In a similar way if someone knows about good literature/papers on the topic or works in a similar topic please let me know!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
phy_eng said:
Dear All,

I know this may sound a bit of a broad approach for a question but I would like to know what equipment I would need to create a very high electric field in order to levitate a non-highly conductive droplet (from water to water + salts but not metallic, in the milli-microscale). I will start doing some basic calculations soon but if someone could help me with ideas, equipment, considerations about the shape and materials of the electrodes or safety components that I will potentally need I would really appreciate it! In a similar way if someone knows about good literature/papers on the topic or works in a similar topic please let me know!

Thanks!
I suggest you look at the Millikan Oil Drop experiment, and the serious problems that had to be overcome.

Likes anorlunda and Nidum

1. What is high electric field/droplet levitation?

High electric field/droplet levitation is a phenomenon in which small droplets of liquid or particles are suspended in mid-air by the force of an electric field. This is achieved by creating a strong electric field that interacts with the charged droplets, causing them to repel and remain suspended.

2. How is high electric field/droplet levitation useful?

High electric field/droplet levitation has many practical applications, such as in the medical field for drug delivery or in the semiconductor industry for manufacturing microchips. It also allows for the study of droplet behavior and properties in a controlled environment.

3. What factors influence high electric field/droplet levitation?

The main factors that influence high electric field/droplet levitation include the strength of the electric field, the size and charge of the droplet, and the properties of the surrounding medium (e.g. air or another liquid).

4. Are there any limitations to high electric field/droplet levitation?

While high electric field/droplet levitation has many potential uses, there are also some limitations. For example, it can only be achieved with small droplets and requires a strong and precisely controlled electric field. The type of liquid or particle being levitated can also impact its stability.

5. How is high electric field/droplet levitation studied and researched?

Scientists use various methods and techniques to study high electric field/droplet levitation, such as using high-speed cameras to observe the behavior of the droplets or using mathematical models to predict their movement. They also conduct experiments in controlled environments with different variables to better understand this phenomenon.