Contact mechanics - Thrust bearing

In summary, the conversation discusses an example of a simple thrust bearing with three balls where the bottom plate is stationary and the top plate and cage rotate. The question arises about the angular speed of the cage and how it relates to the angular frequency of the ball bearings. A diagram is suggested to help visualize the situation and it is mentioned that the balls roll without slip on both plates. A tutorial on rolling motion is also recommended for further understanding."
curiousPep
Homework Statement
Thrust bearing: angular velocity of cage = angular velocity of plate/2
Relevant Equations
Not any
Hello,

I am doing some contact mechanics and I had an example in my Lecture notes about a simple thrust bearing with three balls where the bottom plate is stationary, the top plate rotates with angular velocity w, and the cage rotates with angular speed Ω.
It says by inspection Ω =w/2 but I can's see how this is valid.
I was not given any other data and the sketch provided is not useful, it's just the front view of the bearing without any additional info.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It still might be useful to post the diagram, but it probably looks like the typical thrust ball bearing assembly like what is shown on Wikipedia.

Since the ball bearings are in contact with both the upper and lower plates, what is the linear velocity of each of the ball bearings? And how does that relate to their angular frequency about the central axis?

1634839120268.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_bearing

Likes Lnewqban
As per Berkeman's figure, just remember that the balls roll without slip on both the upper and lower plates. This should give you the necessary information easily.

Likes berkeman
I think the figure posted by @Lnewqban is actually intended to show the velocity gradient in a fluid flow. It just happens to fit this rolling situation, but that is purely coincidence.

Likes Lnewqban
Think of the tangential velocity of the cage as the velocity of the center of mass of one of the balls or rollers, which is located halfway between the two tracks or rotating rings.

You can see the different velocities of cage and top track in the following video:
Please, read this excellent tutorial on rolling:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/explaining-rolling-motion/

:)

Last edited:

1. What is contact mechanics?

Contact mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of solid bodies in contact with each other. It involves understanding the forces and deformations that occur at the interface of two or more bodies in contact.

2. What is a thrust bearing?

A thrust bearing is a type of bearing that is designed to support axial loads, or forces that act parallel to the direction of rotation. It consists of two flat surfaces, typically made of metal, that are in contact with each other and allow for smooth rotation.

3. How does a thrust bearing work?

A thrust bearing works by distributing the axial load evenly across the contact surfaces, reducing friction and allowing for smooth rotation. The bearing is typically lubricated to further reduce friction and wear.

4. What are the different types of thrust bearings?

There are several types of thrust bearings, including ball thrust bearings, roller thrust bearings, and fluid thrust bearings. Each type has its own unique design and uses different mechanisms to support axial loads.

5. What are some common applications of thrust bearings?

Thrust bearings are commonly used in machinery and mechanical systems that require smooth rotation under axial loads. Some examples include automotive transmissions, helicopter rotors, and industrial machinery such as pumps and turbines.