Continuity and differentiability of a piecewise function

In either case, you will then need to show that ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} f(x_n) \ne \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} f(y_n)##, which should be straightforward using the definitions of ##x_n## and ##y_n##.In summary, the problem asks to discuss the continuity and differentiability of the function f(x) that is defined as x^2 for rational values of x and x^4 for irrational values of x. The function is differentiable at x=0 and continuous at x=±1, but discontinuous everywhere else. To prove this, one must show that for any point x≠0,±1, the limit of f
lus1450

Homework Statement

Discuss the continuity and differentiability of
[tex]
f(x) =
\begin{cases}
x^2 & \text{if } x\in \mathbb{Q} \\
x^4 & \text{if } x\in \mathbb{R}\setminus \mathbb{Q}
\end{cases}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the graph of ##f##, I can see that it will be differentiable at ##x=0##, and I think just continuous at ##x= \pm 1##. That is, discontinuous everywhere else. What would be the strategy in showing that points not equal to ##0\text{, } \pm 1## are discontinuous? I know I would take a sequence of rationals and a sequence of irrationals, but would I say consider ##x_n \in \mathbb{Q}## and ##y_n \in \mathbb{R} \setminus \mathbb{Q}## such that as ##n \rightarrow \infty##, ##x_n \rightarrow x## and ##y_n \rightarrow x##? I'm only guessing considering the function, since we'll have ##x^2 \ne x^4## for ##x \not\in \{0, \pm1\}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Zaculus said:

The Attempt at a Solution

From the graph of ##f##, I can see that it will be differentiable at ##x=0##, and I think just continuous at ##x= \pm 1##. That is, discontinuous everywhere else. What would be the strategy in showing that points not equal to ##0\text{, } \pm 1## are discontinuous? I know I would take a sequence of rationals and a sequence of irrationals, but would I say consider ##x_n \in \mathbb{Q}## and ##y_n \in \mathbb{R} \setminus \mathbb{Q}## such that as ##n \rightarrow \infty##, ##x_n \rightarrow x## and ##y_n \rightarrow x##? I'm only guessing considering the function, since we'll have ##x^2 \ne x^4## for ##x \not\in \{0, \pm1\}##
Yes, this is the right idea. In order for ##f## to be continuous at ##x##, one must have
$$\lim_{y \rightarrow x} f(y) = f(x)$$
In particular, the limit must exist. But if the limit exists, then we must get the same answer no matter how we approach ##x##. Therefore if ##x_n## and ##y_n## are two sequences converging to ##x##, and the limits ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} f(x_n)## and ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} f(y_n)## disagree, then ##\lim_{y \rightarrow x} f(y)## does not exist, so ##f## cannot be continuous at ##x##.

Thank you jbunniii. Now to make the proof more rigorous, would I need to find explicit ##x_n## and ##y_n## that converge to ##x##, or just "consider ##x_n## and ##y_n## which both go to ##x## as ##n \rightarrow \infty## ?

Zaculus said:
Thank you jbunniii. Now to make the proof more rigorous, would I need to find explicit ##x_n## and ##y_n## that converge to ##x##, or just "consider ##x_n## and ##y_n## which both go to ##x## as ##n \rightarrow \infty## ?
Good question. It depends on what knowledge is assumed in this problem set. If you can justify (based on what you have already covered in the course) writing something like "every ##x \in \mathbb{R}## is a limit point of both ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##\mathbb{R}\setminus\mathbb{Q}##, so there exist sequences ##x_n \in \mathbb{Q}## and ##y_n \in \mathbb{R}\setminus\mathbb{Q}## such that ##x_n \rightarrow x## and ##y_n \rightarrow x##" then that should suffice. Otherwise you might want to explicitly construct such sequences.

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different equations on different intervals of its domain. This means that the function is made up of multiple "pieces" or parts, each with its own specific equation.

2. What is continuity of a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is continuous if all the individual pieces of the function are also continuous, meaning that there are no breaks or gaps in the graph of the function. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

3. How do you determine continuity of a piecewise function?

To determine continuity of a piecewise function, you must check for continuity at each point where the pieces of the function meet. This can be done by checking if the limit of the function exists and is equal from both the left and right sides of the point.

4. What is differentiability of a piecewise function?

Differentiability of a piecewise function means that the function has a derivative at every point where it is defined. This means that the slope of the tangent line can be determined at each point on the graph of the function.

5. How do you determine differentiability of a piecewise function?

To determine differentiability of a piecewise function, you must check for differentiability at each point where the pieces of the function meet. This can be done by checking if the derivative of the function exists and is equal from both the left and right sides of the point.