Continuity in Calc III problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around proving the continuity of a function at the point (0,0) using limits. The function is given and it is mentioned that approaching (0,0) along the line y = -x results in a limit of 1. The goal is to find another direction where the limit is not 1 and use the definition of the limit to prove that the function is not continuous at (0,0). The conversation also mentions using the delta-epsilon definition and the need to improve proof techniques.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

I must say if the function is continuous in the point (0,0). Which is [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{f(x,y)}=f(0,0)[/tex]

The function:

[tex]f(x,y)=\begin{Bmatrix} (x+y)^2\sin(\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{x^2+y^2}) & \mbox{ if }& y\neq{-x}\\1 & \mbox{if}& y=-x\end{matrix}[/tex]

I think its not continuous at any point, cause for any point I would ever have a disk of discontinuous points, but I must prove it. And I wanted to do so using limits, which I think is the only way to do it.

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{(x+y)^2\sin(\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{x^2+y^2})}[/tex]

What should I do? should I use trajectories? the limit seems to exist, as the sin oscilates between -1 and 1, and the other part tends to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your intuition is on target. Why not try using the definition of the limit?

If it is not continuous, then the limit does not exist.
Clearly, if you approach (0, 0) along the line y = -x, f(x, y) tends to 1.
To show that the limit does not exist, it suffices to find one other direction for which the limit is not 1.
For example, if you can prove that
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x, 0) \neq 1[/tex]
you are done.

You might find it useful that
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} = 0[/tex]

Thank you both.

Snipez90, you mean the delta epsilon definition? I always have trouble by using it. I find it tedious, but I'd really like to improve that, cause I fill as I could never use it, and I think its necessary to make the proves. But I'm not strong on the algebraic skills that's needed to make that kind of proofs, or any kind, it's something I must learn to do really. If you know any book or something that I could use to learn some proofs techniques I'd be really thankful.

Last edited:

Related to Continuity in Calc III problem

1. What is continuity in Calculus III?

Continuity in Calculus III refers to the property of a function where there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph. This means that the function is defined and has the same value at every point on its domain.

2. How is continuity defined in Calculus III?

A function is continuous at a point if three conditions are met: the function is defined at that point, the limit of the function as x approaches that point exists and is equal to the function value at that point, and the function value at that point is equal to the limit from the left and right sides of the function.

3. What is the importance of continuity in Calculus III?

Continuity is important in Calculus III because it allows us to make predictions and analyze functions without any sudden changes. It also allows us to use more advanced techniques, such as differentiation and integration, to solve problems involving these functions.

4. How can continuity be tested in Calculus III?

To test for continuity at a point, we can use the three conditions mentioned earlier. Additionally, we can also use the intermediate value theorem, where a function is continuous on a closed interval if it takes on every value between its endpoints on that interval.

5. What are some real-life applications of continuity in Calculus III?

Continuity is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, continuity is important in understanding the motion of objects without any sudden changes. In engineering, continuity is used in designing smooth and efficient structures. In economics, continuity is used to model and predict changes in market trends.