Continuity of Function - f(x)=|cos(x)|

In summary, the function f(x) = |cos(x)| is uniformly continuous, continuous, and piecewise continuous. The term "piecewise continuity" may be used as a hint for where to cut the integral to get the correct values, but it is not necessary to describe the function as such. Additionally, any continuous function can also be considered piecewise continuous.
EEristavi

Homework Statement

[/B]
We have a function f(x) = |cos(x)|.

It's written that it is piecewise continuous in its domain.
I see that it's not "smooth" function, but why it is not continuous function - from the definition is should be..

Homework Equations

[/B]
We say that a function f is continuous at an interior point c of its domain if
lim(x->c) f(x) = f(c).

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I solved the problem but this piecewise continuity is bothering me

Attachments

• cos(x).jpg
    cos(x).jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
##f(x) =|\cos x|## is uniformly continuous, continuous and piecewise continuous. Why the piecewise continuity is emphasized in your context doesn't become clear from your post. Maybe it's needed as a condition in another theorem, where piecewise continuity plays a role.

Likes EEristavi
EEristavi said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
We have a function f(x) = |cos(x)|.

It's written that it is piecewise continuous in its domain.
I see that it's not "smooth" function, but why it is not continuous function - from the definition is should be..

Homework Equations

[/B]
We say that a function f is continuous at an interior point c of its domain if
lim(x->c) f(x) = f(c).

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I solved the problem but this piecewise continuity is bothering me

You are right: there is a little, easily-proved theorem that if ##f## is continuous, then so is ##|f|##. (However, as you point out, it is piecewise smooth, but that is a different issue.)

Unless the book you are using has some unusual definitions, I don't think describing the function as "piecewise continuous" is helpful; it is not really wrong, just useless. Basically, by the same token, any continuous function is also piecewise continuous!

The way I have seen the terms "piecewise continuity" employed is for functions that are continuous on intervals ##(a_1, a_2), (a_2, a_3), \ldots## but with ##f(a_2 + 0) \neq f(a_2 - 0),## etc---that is, has discontinuities of the first kind.

Likes EEristavi
Note that this function is continuous, as composition of 2 continuous functions, at least if the functions don't have some kind of strange domain.

I.e.: for ##x \in \mathbb{R}:|\cos(x)| = (|\cdot | \circ \cos) (x)##

For me, it is not entirely clear what the relevance of this question is. Can you specify what the domain of the functions is?

Thank you all for the quick replies.
I will attach the screenshot from book, just in case.

However, I think the case is closed (Thanks again)

Attachments

• pwc.jpg
    pwc.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 454
EEristavi said:

Since continuity => piecewise continuity, indeed the case is closed.

Maybe they mean with piecewise here that you have to split up the integral with linearity to get rid off the absolute value signs, but this is just a guess in the wild.

Likes EEristavi
EEristavi said:

I think in this specific case, it may be meant as a hint where to cut the integral to get the values correct - I'd take it as error avoidance.

Likes EEristavi
fresh_42 said:
I think in this specific case, it is meant as a hint where to cut the integral to get the values correct - I'd take it as error avoidance.

I also though of this. I just asked here also, just to be sure and don't learn something wrong :)

Thanks for help )

1. What is the definition of continuity of a function?

The continuity of a function refers to the property of a function where the output values change smoothly as the input values change. This means that there are no abrupt jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

2. How do you check if a function is continuous?

To check if a function is continuous, we need to ensure that three conditions are met: 1) the function is defined at the point in question, 2) the limit of the function exists at that point, and 3) the limit of the function is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the role of absolute value in the continuity of the function f(x)=|cos(x)|?

The absolute value in the function f(x)=|cos(x)| ensures that the output values are always positive, regardless of the input values. This helps to eliminate any potential breaks or jumps in the graph of the function, making it continuous.

4. Can the function f(x)=|cos(x)| be discontinuous at any point?

No, the function f(x)=|cos(x)| is continuous for all real numbers. This is because the absolute value function guarantees that the output values are always positive, and the cosine function is continuous for all real numbers. Therefore, the composition of these two functions also results in a continuous function.

5. How does the graph of f(x)=|cos(x)| look like?

The graph of f(x)=|cos(x)| is a continuous, periodic function with a range of [0,1]. It has a wave-like shape, similar to the graph of the cosine function, but it is always above the x-axis due to the absolute value. The graph repeats itself every 2π units along the x-axis.