Continuous and open function and local extrema

In summary, this mathematician is trying to find a solution to a problem involving a function and local extrema. He considers an open interval and finds that there exists a point that is a minimum for the function. He also considers a closed interval and finds that there exists a point that is a maximum for the function. He then asks for help understanding a picture of a function and how continuity might imply that two points on the graph are equal.
mahler1
Homework Statement .
Let ##f:ℝ→ℝ## be an open and continuous function. Prove that f doesn't have local extrema The attempt at a solution.

I suppose there is some ##x_0 \in ℝ## and some ##ε>0## such that ##f(x_0)≤f(x)## for all ##x \in (x_0-ε,x_0+ε)## (the proof for relative maximum is analogue to this one). Now, I consider the open interval ##(x_0-ε,x_0+ε)##. Then, ##f( {(x_0-ε,x_0+ε)} )## is open by our hypothesis. Then, there exists ##δ>0## such that ##B(f(x_0),δ) \subset f({(x_0-ε,x_0+ε)})##. I want to come to an absurd, this means, find some ##z \in (x_0-ε,x_0+ε)## such that ##f(z)<f(x_0)##, but I don't know how to get here, I must use continuity at some point. How could I get the wanted z?

By the way, sorry for the notation ##f({(x_0-ε,x_0+ε)})##, it should be f({(x_0-ε,x_0+ε)}), with brackets, but I couldn't put it this way with latex.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .
Let ##f:ℝ→ℝ## be an open and continuous function. Prove that f doesn't have local extrema

The attempt at a solution.

I suppose there is some ##x_0 \in ℝ## and some ##ε>0## such that ##f(x_0)≤f(x)## for all ##x \in (x_0-ε,x_0+ε)## (the proof for relative maximum is analogue to this one). Now, I consider the open interval ##(x_0-ε,x_0+ε)##. Then, ##f( {(x_0-ε,x_0+ε)} )## is open by our hypothesis. Then, there exists ##δ>0## such that ##B(f(x_0),δ) \subset f({(x_0-ε,x_0+ε)})##. I want to come to an absurd, this means, find some ##z \in (x_0-ε,x_0+ε)## such that ##f(z)<f(x_0)##, but I don't know how to get here, I must use continuity at some point. How could I get the wanted z?

You have [itex]f(x_0) - \frac12\delta \in B(f(x_0),\delta) \subset f((x_0 - \epsilon, x_0 + \epsilon))[/itex]. Hence [itex]f(x_0) - \frac12\delta \in f((x_0 - \epsilon, x_0 + \epsilon))[/itex].

By the way, sorry for the notation ##f({(x_0-ε,x_0+ε)})##, it should be f({(x_0-ε,x_0+ε)}), with brackets, but I couldn't put it this way with latex.

You don't need the brackets here. [itex](x_0 - \epsilon, x_0 + \epsilon)[/itex] is a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] so its image under f is [itex]f((x_0 - \epsilon, x_0 + \epsilon))[/itex]. [itex]\{(x_0 - \epsilon, x_0 + \epsilon)\}[/itex] is a singleton set whose only member is a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], and is not a itself a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

For future reference, set brackets in LaTeX are produced by escaping: \{ \} gives [itex]\{ \}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
You have [itex]f(x_0) - \frac12\delta \in B(f(x_0),\delta) \subset f((x_0 - \epsilon, x_0 + \epsilon))[/itex]. Hence [itex]f(x_0) - \frac12\delta \in f((x_0 - \epsilon, x_0 + \epsilon))[/itex].

You don't need the brackets here. [itex](x_0 - \epsilon, x_0 + \epsilon)[/itex] is a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] so its image under f is [itex]f((x_0 - \epsilon, x_0 + \epsilon))[/itex]. [itex]\{(x_0 - \epsilon, x_0 + \epsilon)\}[/itex] is a singleton set whose only member is a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], and is not a itself a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

For future reference, set brackets in LaTeX are produced by escaping: \{ \} gives [itex]\{ \}[/itex].

Oh, I've mixed up the notation.

Suppose f does have a minimum at ##x_0##. Then there are ##\epsilon_1 \text{ and } \epsilon_2## such that ##f(x_0-\epsilon_1) = f(x_0+\epsilon_2)##. That is because f is continuous.

Now what does this do to your openness?

brmath said:
Suppose f does have a minimum at ##x_0##. Then there are ##\epsilon_1 \text{ and } \epsilon_2## such that ##f(x_0-\epsilon_1) = f(x_0+\epsilon_2)##. That is because f is continuous.

Now what does this do to your openness?

Sorry, maybe it's obvious, but I don't see why continuity would imply ##f(x_0-\epsilon_1) = f(x_0+\epsilon_2)##

Hi,

It's a local minimum, which means the function is rising on both sides of it, as least in some interval. And the function is continuous which means it satisfies the intermediate value condition -- that is it can't get from here to there without passing thru everything in between. So on both the left and right it is going to go continuously thru a bunch of values, and there will be some equalities.

Does that help? I did think it was obvious, and am finding it hard to explain. Perhaps you could draw a picture? Try y = ##x^2##. Then try something not so symmetric.

brmath said:
Hi,

It's a local minimum, which means the function is rising on both sides of it, as least in some interval. And the function is continuous which means it satisfies the intermediate value condition -- that is it can't get from here to there without passing thru everything in between. So on both the left and right it is going to go continuously thru a bunch of values, and there will be some equalities.

Does that help? I did think it was obvious, and am finding it hard to explain. Perhaps you could draw a picture? Try y = ##x^2##. Then try something not so symmetric.

It certainly does help, now I get it but I realize I have to study some more single variable calculus.

mahler1 said:
It certainly does help, now I get it but I realize I have to study some more single variable calculus.

You don't need a lot of calculus in this case -- you just need to understand what a continuous function on an interval is.

Would you agree that if f(q) = f(r) for q,r in the interval than f cannot be open?

Related to Continuous and open function and local extrema

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a mathematical function that has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph. This means that the graph of a continuous function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

2. What is an open function?

An open function is a mathematical function that maps open sets to open sets. In simpler terms, this means that the output of the function will always be an open interval, meaning it does not include its endpoints.

3. What is a local extremum of a function?

A local extremum of a function is a point on the graph of the function where the function either reaches a maximum or minimum value within a specific interval. This means that the function is either increasing or decreasing on both sides of the point.

4. How can one determine if a function has a local extremum?

To determine if a function has a local extremum, one can use the first and second derivative tests. The first derivative test involves finding the critical points of the function (where the derivative is equal to 0 or undefined) and then checking the sign of the derivative on either side of these points. The second derivative test involves evaluating the second derivative at the critical points to determine if they are local maxima or minima.

5. Can a function have multiple local extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple local extrema. This occurs when the function changes direction (from increasing to decreasing, or vice versa) multiple times within a given interval. These points are known as local maxima and minima and can be found using the first and second derivative tests.