Continuous function on intervals

In summary, the homework statement says that if you break the interval down into smaller sub intervals, each will have an abs min and max. However, if you try to find an abs min or max for a function that is continuous on (0,1], you may not find one.
rapple

Homework Statement

f:(0,1]->R be a continuous function. Is it possible that f does not have an absolute min or max. Give counter examples

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since f is partially bounded, if I break the interval down into smaller sub intervals, each will have an abs min and max. So I will have at least one of the extremes.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem says 'give counterexamples'. Do that. They aren't hard to find.

"if I break the interval down into smaller sub intervals, each will have an abs min and max."

If you break the interval into a union smaller intervals, you will always have one interval of the form (0, a) where a is some real in (0,1]. What is the difference between [0,1] and (0,1]? Does a continuous function on [0,1] attain a min/max?

Think of some functions on (0,1] that may not have a min or max (you might want to think of f(x) as x approaches 0)

How about f(x) = 1 if x=1 and f(x) = 1/(x-1) if x Not= 1. Then as x->0 , f(x) is increasing and as x-> 1, f(x) is decreasing. Since it is 1 at one, it is not the minimum.

That f is also not continuous on (0,1]. Keep it simple. How about f(x)=1/x?

Then f has an abs min at x=1. even though it is continuous

rapple said:
Then f has an abs min at x=1. even though it is continuous

Oh, I thought you wanted no max or no min. You want neither max NOR min. How about a function that oscillates with increasing increasing frequency and magnitude as x->0? Can you give an example of one of those?

How about sin(1/x)/x. But I don't think it is continuous because of the sharp peaks. Is it a form of sin function?

rapple said:
How about sin(1/x)/x. But I don't think it is continuous because of the sharp peaks. Is it a form of sin function?

That's perfect. It's continuous on (0,1]. The only place it has a problem is at x=0. But x=0 is not in (0,1].

Thank you. You seem to have a way of making it happen!

Related to Continuous function on intervals

1. What is a continuous function on intervals?

A continuous function on intervals is a mathematical function that has a continuous graph, meaning there are no breaks or discontinuities in the graph. This means that as the input values of the function change, the output values also change gradually without any sudden jumps.

2. How is continuity defined on an interval?

Continuity on an interval is defined as the ability of a function to have a continuous graph on that interval. This means that the function is defined and exists for all values within the interval, and there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph.

3. What is the importance of continuous functions on intervals?

Continuous functions on intervals are important in mathematics because they allow us to model and analyze real-world phenomena and make accurate predictions. They also have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics, among other fields.

4. How can we determine if a function is continuous on an interval?

To determine if a function is continuous on an interval, we can use the three-part definition of continuity. This states that a function is continuous if it is defined, exists, and has the same limit at every point within the interval.

5. Can a continuous function on an interval have a discontinuous derivative?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous on an interval but have a discontinuous derivative. This means that the function has a continuous graph, but the slope of the graph changes abruptly at certain points within the interval.