Continuous inverse funtion real analysis

In summary, Rudin's proof for continuity for a one-to-one continuous mapping between two metric spaces is done by using the intermediate value theorem.
CarmineCortez

Homework Statement

Let I be an interval in the real line, and let f map I --> R be a one-to-one, continuous function.
Then prove that f^(-1) maps f(I) --> R is also continuous

The Attempt at a Solution

I've started with the definition of continuity but I don't see where to go next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: by the intermediate value theorem, f is either increasing or decreasing on I. (Be careful though - the intermediate value only applies to closed and bounded intervals.)

To CarmineCortez,
Rudin gives a proof in his Principle of mathematics - Continuity but with f being a continuous 1-1 mapping of a compact metric space X onto a metric space Y. ( interval is of course compact) and you may check it out.

I'm asking that, in OP's thread, what if the "interval" is replaced by "segment", (a,b) for example? I guess the conclusion should not hold true in this case and the proof should take some properties of interval. However, at least it seems okay to me that f is still strictly monotonic... puzzled.

The conclusion will still follow even if I isn't closed, bounded, or both. Once you prove that f is increasing/decreasing everywhere, then an easy epsilon-delta argument will give you continuity.

Of course if I is closed and bounded, then the entire proof is a 2-linear, provided you know a bit about compactness.

yea, thanks! so my proof didn't fail me :) Hope the OP has solved it, too

thnx

Last edited:
I'm still having trouble, can the IVT be used for a interval that is not bounded, if not then I am lost with this one.

well, I'm not sure if there's any other way to use IVT, this is how I did:
suppose f is not monotonic, there should exist three distinct points, called x, y, z such that x<y<z and without loss of generality we assume that f(x)<f(y),f(y)>f(z). (note that being 1-1 function, it exclude the possiblity of '='). Using IVT on [x,y] or [y,z] we can conclude that f is monotonic.
The rest of proof is similar. you can choose some interval you want and use IVT just on it. you do not need to use IVT on an unbounded interval (actually, I do not see how to use it for an unbounded interval)
Hope that helps. I believe that someone else has better proof.

Related to Continuous inverse funtion real analysis

1. What is a continuous inverse function in real analysis?

A continuous inverse function in real analysis is a function that reverses the input and output of a continuous function. In other words, if f(x) is a continuous function, its inverse function g(y) will be continuous as well and will satisfy the equation g(f(x)) = x.

2. How do you determine if a function has a continuous inverse?

In order for a function to have a continuous inverse, it must be one-to-one and onto. This means that every element in the function's range must correspond to exactly one element in the domain, and vice versa. Additionally, the function must also be continuous.

3. Can a discontinuous function have a continuous inverse?

No, a discontinuous function cannot have a continuous inverse. In order for a function to have a continuous inverse, it must be continuous itself. A discontinuous function has at least one point where it is not continuous, making it impossible to have a continuous inverse.

4. What is the difference between a continuous function and a bijective function?

A continuous function is a function that does not have any abrupt changes or breaks in its graph. A bijective function is both one-to-one and onto, meaning it has a unique output for every input and every output has a corresponding input. All bijective functions are continuous, but not all continuous functions are bijective.

5. How do you find the inverse of a continuous function?

To find the inverse of a continuous function, you can switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the inverse function, which can be checked for continuity by plugging in values and checking for any breaks or jumps in the graph.