Continuous process and equilibrium constant.

In summary, the conversation discusses the production of methanol through chemical reactions and the importance of maintaining specific conditions for the reactions to achieve a desired equilibrium constant. The theoretical yield can be calculated using this equilibrium constant, but the actual yield may be slightly less due to various factors. The process of separating water and methanol may not affect the yield as long as the conditions are maintained, but changing the conditions of the reactions could potentially change the equilibrium position. The use of a catalyst is necessary for the final conversion of syngas to methanol.
goggles31
Assuming that we have a chemical plant which produces methanol through the following equations:
CH4 + H2O <--> CO + 3H2
CO + 2H2 <--> CH3OH
CO2 + 3H2 <--> CH3OH + H2O
I know that with specific pressure, temperature and flow rates, I can produce reactions with specific equilibrium constants. Are these conditions maintained until water and methanol are separated, even in the pipelines? I'm guessing that I can calculate the theoretical yield by applying the equilibrium constant. Is that correct? Thank you for your time.
Edit: Also, wouldn't I risk changing the position of equilibrium if I change the conditions to separate water and methanol?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you referring to the conventional 2-step process using a catalyst for the final conversion of the syngas to methanol?

Yes, but that does not matter. I'm interested in the equilibrium constant manipulation.

goggles31 said:
Are these conditions maintained until water and methanol are separated, even in the pipelines?
I would think so, because the pipelines roughly maintain the same temperature and pressure.

goggles31 said:
I'm guessing that I can calculate the theoretical yield by applying the equilibrium constant. Is that correct?
Yes, but actual yield could be somewhat less. There's usually a compromise between catalyst, residence time, and yield.

goggles31 said:
Also, wouldn't I risk changing the position of equilibrium if I change the conditions to separate water and methanol?
Do you mean change the conditions of the reactions, or change the conditions of the water/methanol separation process?

The conditions of the reactions; condensation then distillation comes to mind, although it may not be the one used by the industry.

goggles31 said:
The conditions of the reactions; condensation then distillation comes to mind, although it may not be the one used by the industry.
I'm confused by this reply. Condensation and distillation are physical operations where no reactions take place.

Condensation is a cooling process. If we consider the third equation which is an exothermic reaction, the position of equilibrium would move to the right during condensation which would be ideal for this reaction since we are generating more methanol. But what if the reaction was actually endothermic? Wouldn't we be decreasing our potential output?

Now I understand. No, the condensation and distillation will have no effect on the yield because the rates of the reactions are insignificant. (That is why a catalyst is necessary for the final reaction step.)

What is a continuous process?

A continuous process is a process or reaction that takes place continuously, without any interruption or pause. This means that the reactants are continuously added and the products are continuously removed, resulting in a constant flow of reactants and products.

What is an equilibrium constant?

An equilibrium constant is a numerical value that represents the ratio of the concentration of products to the concentration of reactants at equilibrium for a given reaction. It is used to determine the extent of a reaction and whether it favors the formation of products or reactants.

How is equilibrium constant calculated?

The equilibrium constant, denoted by Keq, is calculated by taking the ratio of the concentrations of products to the concentrations of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. The values of the concentrations used must be taken at equilibrium.

What factors can affect the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant is affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium position and therefore change the value of the equilibrium constant.

What is the significance of the equilibrium constant in a chemical reaction?

The equilibrium constant provides important information about the nature of a chemical reaction. It can tell us whether the reaction is spontaneous (Keq > 1) or non-spontaneous (Keq < 1), as well as the relative amounts of reactants and products at equilibrium. It also allows us to predict the direction in which a reaction will proceed to reach equilibrium.