Continuous R^2xR^2xR^2/E^+(2) -> R^3 injection

In summary, the problem discussed in this conversation involves finding a way to represent the translation and rotation-independent aspects of an animal's motion in two dimensions. The goal is to have a continuous injection from the group of rigid-body motions in two dimensions (E+(2)) to ℝ^3. It has been discovered that there are continuous bijections that achieve this, despite initial doubts. This problem relates to the Borsuk-Ulam theorem in topology.
pmsrw3
This is a question that comes from my research. I know next to nothing about topology, so I'm not able to assure myself of the answer. The problem is this: I'm watching an animal move in two dimensions. At three successive points in time I have three positions, (x1,y1), (x2,y2), (x3,y3). But there are three uninteresting degrees of freedom in these numbers: two that say where it all happened and one that gives the angle you're looking at it from. In other words, I am only interested in translation and rotation-invariant aspects of the motion. Thus, the three positions are best understood not as being a point in ℝ^2×ℝ^2×ℝ^2, but in the orbit space ℝ^2×ℝ^2×ℝ^2/E+(2), E+(2) being the group of rigid-body motions in two dimensions, acting uniformly on all three positions, i.e. e in E+(2) acts on ((x1,y1), (x2,y2), (x3,y3)) to produce (e(x1,y1), e(x2,y2), e(x3,y3)).

I want to get three numbers that contain all the rotation and translation-independent information in (x1,y1), (x2,y2), (x3,y3). This is easy. I would also like the mapping to be continuous. That is, I would like to have a continuous injection from ℝ^2×ℝ^2×ℝ^2/E+(2) -> ℝ^3. This, I believe, is impossible. Am I right? I have a feeling this is basically Borsuk–Ulam, but like I said, I'm pretty ignorant of topology.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Got some answers to this on mathoverflow.net. It turns out there ARE continuous bijections ℝ^2×ℝ^2×ℝ^2/E+(2) -> ℝ^3.

1. What is "Continuous R^2xR^2xR^2/E^+(2) -> R^3 injection"?

"Continuous R^2xR^2xR^2/E^+(2) -> R^3 injection" refers to a specific mathematical function that maps a three-dimensional space (R^3) to a two-dimensional space (R^2xR^2xR^2/E^+(2)). This function is continuous, meaning that small changes in the input will result in small changes in the output.

2. How is "Continuous R^2xR^2xR^2/E^+(2) -> R^3 injection" used in scientific research?

This function is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to model and analyze complex systems in three-dimensional space. It can help researchers understand the behavior of these systems and make predictions about their future states.

3. What is the difference between an injection and a continuous injection?

An injection is a type of function that maps each element in the domain to a unique element in the range. A continuous injection is a specific type of injection where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. This property is important for studying the behavior of systems over time.

4. Can "Continuous R^2xR^2xR^2/E^+(2) -> R^3 injection" be reversed?

No, this function is not reversible. This means that it is not possible to map the output back to the original input. This is because the function maps a three-dimensional space to a two-dimensional space, resulting in a loss of information.

5. What are some real-life applications of "Continuous R^2xR^2xR^2/E^+(2) -> R^3 injection"?

This function has numerous applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and signal processing. It can be used to model and analyze the movement of objects in three-dimensional space, create realistic 3D images, and track the motion of objects in videos.