Continuous symmetries as particles

In summary, the discussion focused on the appearance of symmetry as particles in a Quantum Field Theory. The Lagrangian and vacuum are invariant under the generators of a global symmetry or gauge group, leading to classification of particles according to their group representations. In the local gauge case, the generators appear as massless spin 1 bosons under the fundamental representation. The broken generators also appear as massive spin 1 particles, all joining in a fundamental representation with different masses. It is expected that all irreducible representations, such as the fundamental and antifundamental, will appear. The unbroken generators are expected to appear as particles in the adjoint representation in a Lagrangian with global unbroken symmetries. However, the discussion also brought
arivero
Gold Member
I am not sure if I recall all the ways for a symmetry to appear as some particle in a Quantum Field Theory.

- The Lagrangian and the vacuum is invariant under the generators of a global symmetry/gauge group. Then the particles in the theory are classified according representations of such group, with all the elements in the same multiplet having equal mass, but... a) Are all the representations expected to appear, and b) is the representation of the generators, the fundamental representation, expected to appear?

- The Lagrangian is invariant under a global gauge group but the vacuum is not. The broken generators then appear as Goldstone bosons, of spin zero. Are they always spin zero? What about the unbrogen generators. No clue of them?

- The Lagrangian is invariant under a local gauge group. Then the generators appear as massless spin 1 bosons, under the fundamental representation of the group.

- The Lagrangian is invariant under a local gauge group and the vacuum is not. The unbroken generators appear as massless spin 1, the broken generators as massive spin 1, all of them join in a fundamental representation of the group that nevertheless has different masses.

Physics news on Phys.org
-I think all the irreducible representations are expected to appear (fundamental,antifundamental etc). I am not sure if there can be representations which don't appear...I don't understand b.

-Yes... as for if the spin is zero, in general I think that's true. Otherwise they would have to be vector bosons, and thus the vacuum which you "break" would have to have a vector field's vev. The unbroken generators/fields still exist afterwards (just like the Higgs boson which exists as a 1 dof after the 4dof of the field are gauged out.

-The Lagrangian invariant under a local gauge group, brings the massless spin-1 generators existing in the adjoint representation. Or at least that's what I have understood from SU(N) theories.

- For the same reason as Higgs... They don't join the fundamental representation though. For example the fundamental representation of SU(2)xU(1) is a (2,1). The gauge bosons exist in the adjoint representation which comes from the tensorial product of the fundamental and antifundamental reprs. As for the masses, I think it depends on the way you are breaking the symmetry.

ChrisVer said:
I don't understand b

Sorry, my fault. I always do a mess with the naming. I meant the adjoint. b) Are the unbroken generators expected to appear as particles in the adjoint representation, in a Lagrangian with global unbroken symmetries?

All this stuff can be mathematically consistent. In fact it is. But it is also very confusing when comparing the local gauge with the global case. Nor to speak of approximate global symmetries.

Generically, it seems that in the global case the symmetry itself lives outside of the world, and than it is only in the case of local gauge when the generators also become particles. But then we have the goldstone bosons, breaking this intuition and proving than intuition is not a good guide here.

1. What are continuous symmetries in physics?

Continuous symmetries in physics refer to transformations that result in no change in the physical properties of a system. These transformations can include rotations, translations, and reflections.

2. How are continuous symmetries related to particles?

In quantum field theory, continuous symmetries are often associated with the existence of particles. This is because particles are described as excitations of fields, and the symmetries of these fields determine the properties of the particles.

3. Can continuous symmetries be broken?

Yes, continuous symmetries can be broken in certain physical systems. This occurs when the system's ground state does not exhibit the full symmetry of the underlying laws of physics.

4. What is the significance of continuous symmetries in particle physics?

Continuous symmetries play a crucial role in particle physics, as they are often used to classify and describe particles. The symmetries of a system can also provide insights into the fundamental laws of nature.

5. How are continuous symmetries studied in experiments?

Continuous symmetries in particle physics are studied through experiments that involve high-energy particle collisions. By analyzing the outcomes of these collisions, scientists can determine the properties and symmetries of particles and their interactions.