Contradiction in Common BJT Configuration: KVL vs Early Effect

In summary, the equation states that VBB = VBE + IE*RB, which means that IE is a constant. If voltage Vcb is increased early, then the depletion region of the CB junction penetrates deeper into the base region, which means that the charge gradient in the base increases and hence IE increases. However, there is no contradiction because Vbe isn't strictly constant and at constant current base, every BJT will show increasing colector current when Vce grows.
sahil_time
Now as you can see in the picture a common base configuration of BJT.
The green markings in the picture are resistances. :p
My question is:
By KVL : VBB = VBE + IE*RB which means that IE is esentially a constant because
VBB , VBE, RB are constants.
Now If Voltage Vcb is increased Early effect states that depletion region
of CB junction penetrates deeper into the Base region. Which means charge gradient in base increases and hence IE increases .

What is the contradiction?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no contradiction. Vbe isn't strictly constant. At constant current base, every BJT will show increasing colector current when Vce grows. Check any curve.

Yes, but if at all IE increases, it would imply that VBE has increased. That will not fit
the KVL equation.

?

You need a higher Vbe (but very little) to increase Ie. It's the PN junction law. Perhaps you believe Vbe NEVER changes no matter the value of Ie. That's wrong.

No i do believe. But what my question is that the KVL eqn says:
VBB = VBE + IE*RB
Do you agree that VBB and RB are constants?
IE=function of VBE
Now if VBE and IE were to simultaneously increase it would violate KVL.

?

Gordianus said:
You need a higher Vbe (but very little) to increase Ie. It's the PN junction law. Perhaps you believe Vbe NEVER changes no matter the value of Ie. That's wrong.

No i do believe. But what my question is that the KVL eqn says:
VBB = VBE + IE*RB
Do you agree that VBB and RB are constants?
IE=function of VBE
Now if VBE and IE were to simultaneously increase it would violate KVL.

?

Hmm... trying my take on this.

I don't think there's a catastrophe. Early effect increases Ic (not Ie) and increases the forward gain. One expects Ie to increase with an increase on Ic, but let's see. Ebers-Moll with Early corrections has for Ie

Ie = i(Vbe)(a + 1/(Bf.a)) - a.i(-Vcb)
i(Vx) = Is . ( exp( Vx/Vt ) - 1 )
a = ( 1 + Vce/Va )

i(-Vcb) is very small in forward active mode, so

Ie = i(Vbe)(a + 1/(Bf.a))

Now, Vee = Vbe + Re . Ie, so we get

Vee = Vbe + Re.i(Vbe).(a+1/(Bf.a))

This is identical to good old diode equation

Vee = Vbe + Re*.i(Vbe)

where Re* = Re.a(1 + 1/(Bf.a2))

Therefore, the effect on Ie is the same as if Re increased by a factor "a" (plus a much smaller 2nd order factor)... so Ie should decrease, and because of the diode equation Vbe should decrease a tiny little bit too (albeit it will remain pretty much around 0.6-0.7).

At least that's my take.

Last edited:

Related to Contradiction in Common BJT Configuration: KVL vs Early Effect

What is a common BJT configuration?

A common BJT (bipolar junction transistor) configuration is a type of electronic circuit that uses a BJT as its main active component. The most common configurations are the common emitter, common collector, and common base configurations.

What is KVL and how does it relate to BJTs?

KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop must equal zero. In BJT circuits, KVL is used to analyze the voltages across the BJT and its associated resistors.

What is the Early effect in BJTs?

The Early effect, also known as the base-width modulation effect, is a phenomenon in BJTs where the width of the depletion region in the base region increases as the collector-base voltage increases. This results in a decrease in the effective base width and a decrease in the BJT's current gain.

Why is there a contradiction between KVL and the Early effect in common BJT configurations?

The contradiction arises because KVL assumes that the voltage across the BJT remains constant, while the Early effect causes the voltage to vary with changes in the collector-base voltage. This can lead to discrepancies in the analysis of the circuit, especially in high-frequency applications.

How can the contradiction be addressed in common BJT configurations?

To address the contradiction, additional components such as resistors and capacitors can be added to the circuit to stabilize the voltage and mitigate the effects of the Early effect. Another approach is to use a different BJT configuration, such as the common collector configuration, which is less affected by the Early effect.