Contradiction of Gibbs adsoprtion?

In summary: I also changed my answer to be more useful.In summary, surfactant molecules consist of a water-loving head and a grease-loving tail. When measuring the cross-sectional area of the alkyl chain of a surfactant, it can be done vertically or horizontally, or simply by using the theoretical value from literature. However, a new adsorption model by Shibata et. al. suggests that the molecular surface area of certain surfactants, such as C16E8 and C18E8, is actually smaller than the cross-sectional area of the alkyl chain. This contradicts the traditional Gibbs adsorption theory, which assumes that the molecular surface area is equal to the cross-sectional area of the alkyl chain. This finding challenges
bobey
1. Surfactant molecule is made from water-loving head and grease-loving tail (Figure 1).

My question: How do we measure the cross-sectional area of the alkyl chain of surfactant? Do we measure it vertically (refer to GREEN DOUBLE ARROWS of Figure 1) or horizontally (refer to RED DOUBLE ARROWS of Figure 1)? Or do we just take the “theoretical value" of the alkyl chain from the literature (estimated 20-25 A˚2[1]?
2. I have read a paper entitled, "New Adsorption Model - Theory, Phenomena and New Concept - " by Shibata et. al. [2]. One of the sentences in para 3 page 2 stated that, i quoted, “The important finding is that molecular surface area is less than the cross-sectional area of the alkyl chain for C16E8 and C18E8. Such small molecular surface areas strongly suggest that Gibbs adsorption just at air/water interface in an adequate. This is one of contradictions for the Gibbs adsorption."

Why does when the molecular surface area is less than the cross-sectional area of the alkyl chain, it is said to be contradicted with the Gibbs adsorption?

Reference:

[1] http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/~dutcher/download/handbook%20of%20biological%20physics/7.pdf

[2] https://jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jos/64/1/64_ess14213/_pdf​

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Fix your links, please. Not going to jump through hoops to help.

The image and the first reference work for me. The second reference does not work, just a http/https issue: Here is the correct link.
I fixed it in the first post and cleaned up.

1. What is the Gibbs adsorption equation and how does it relate to the contradiction of Gibbs adsorption?

The Gibbs adsorption equation is a thermodynamic equation that describes the change in surface tension of a liquid due to the adsorption of molecules at the surface. The contradiction of Gibbs adsorption refers to a discrepancy between theoretical predictions of the equation and experimental observations.

2. Why is the contradiction of Gibbs adsorption important?

The contradiction of Gibbs adsorption is important because it highlights the limitations of the Gibbs adsorption equation and the need for more comprehensive theories to accurately describe surface phenomena.

3. What are the possible reasons for the contradiction of Gibbs adsorption?

There are several possible reasons for the contradiction of Gibbs adsorption, including the assumption of ideal conditions, neglecting the effects of intermolecular interactions, and the inability to account for non-ideal surface behavior.

4. How can the contradiction of Gibbs adsorption be addressed in research?

Researchers can address the contradiction of Gibbs adsorption by developing more sophisticated models that incorporate non-ideal conditions and intermolecular interactions, and by conducting experiments under a wider range of conditions to better understand the underlying mechanisms.

5. What implications does the contradiction of Gibbs adsorption have for practical applications?

The contradiction of Gibbs adsorption has implications for the design and optimization of processes and technologies that involve surface phenomena, such as drug delivery, surface coatings, and separation techniques. Understanding and addressing this contradiction can lead to more efficient and effective applications in various industries.