Contrast-Calculation between two planes

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the contrast between two planes, one being a semi-transparent plane and the other being a wall. The first part of the problem involves determining the luminance of the semi-transparent plane based on the luminance of the monitor and its reflectivity. The second part of the problem involves calculating the luminous flux of the wall and comparing it to the luminance of the monitor. The speaker is seeking help with factoring in the distance of the plane to the eye and transferring the luminous flux to a unit that can be compared to the monitor's luminance.
QuestionsAsker101
Hi there, I am new to the Forum!

I have a little bit of a tricky Problem. I am trying to calculate the Contrast between two planes as seen here:

Pic1.png

So I started by cutting the Problem in two Parts.
Part 1, The Monitor:
Pic3.png

I know the Luminance of the Monitor X, and the reflectivity of the semi-transparent Plane A2 20%.
Therefor I know that I can now get the Luminance of the semi-transparent Plane by Assuming it as a plane with a smaller Surface A2* with the Luminance of 20% of the Monitor, because the distance of the monitor and the plane is very Small.
Pic4.png

So this is where the Problems beginn: I don't know how to factor in the distance of the plane to the Eye, so that i can later compare it to the Plane A1.

The second Part of the Problem is the Wall:
Pic2.png

The wall is seen from the same angle omega as the semi-transparent plane. The light that passes through the semi-transparent plane gets a factor of 0.34 from the degree of transmission.
I know how to calculate the luminous flux of the Wall, but can't quite get how to transfer the luminous Flux to a unit, that i can compare to the Luminance of the Monitor.

Can anyone here help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:
Is your setup like "Pepper's Ghost"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper's_ghost
Yes... I would like to calculate how bright my Display has to be to be visible in a Room with 1200lux.

1. What is a contrast-calculation between two planes?

A contrast-calculation between two planes is a scientific method used to compare the differences between two distinct planes or surfaces. This can be done by analyzing various factors such as color, texture, composition, and other physical properties.

2. Why is contrast-calculation important in scientific research?

Contrast-calculation is crucial in scientific research as it helps to identify and understand the differences between two planes. This can provide valuable insights into the underlying processes and mechanisms that govern these differences, which can ultimately lead to new discoveries and advancements in various scientific fields.

3. What are some common techniques used for contrast-calculation?

Some common techniques used for contrast-calculation include spectroscopy, microscopy, and image analysis. These techniques allow scientists to measure and quantify the differences between two planes, providing a more accurate and objective comparison.

4. Can contrast-calculation be used in fields other than science?

Yes, contrast-calculation can also be used in fields such as art, design, and photography. In these fields, contrast refers to the difference in visual elements such as color, tone, and shape. By understanding and manipulating contrast, artists and designers can create more visually appealing and impactful compositions.

5. What are some potential limitations of contrast-calculation?

One limitation of contrast-calculation is that it may not take into account all the variables and factors that can influence the differences between two planes. It can also be a time-consuming and complex process, requiring specialized equipment and expertise. Additionally, the interpretation of contrast data can also be subjective and may vary between individuals.