Contravariant and covariant vectors

In summary, the choice of frame has no effect on the dot product. It is always zero for two perpendicular vectors because the definition of perpendicularity is for the dot product to be zero.
Sonia AS
I know if the number of coordinates are same in both the old and new frame then A.B=A`.B` . But if the number of coordinates are not same in both old and new frame then A.B=0 means that both the vectors A and B are perpendicular. Why is it so that if the number of coordinates of both the frames are not same, then both the vectors must be perpendicular.

Physics news on Phys.org
The choice of frame has no effect on the dot product. It is always zero for two perpendicular vectors because the definition of perpendicularity is for the dot product to be zero.
The dot product is not defined for vectors with different dimensionality. It is necessary to embed the lower dimensional vector in the higher-dimensional space of the other vector (or to embed both in a third space) in order to obtain a dot product. The embedding may not necessarily be unique, so the dot product may not necessarily be unique.

Sonia AS said:
I know if the number of coordinates are same in both the old and new frame then A.B=A`.B` . But if the number of coordinates are not same in both old and new frame then A.B=0 means that both the vectors A and B are perpendicular. Why is it so that if the number of coordinates of both the frames are not same, then both the vectors must be perpendicular.
What, exactly, do you mean by "number of coordinates"? In any frame, the "number of coordinates" should be equal to the dimension of the space which is independent of the choice of frame. I don't see how it is possible to have "the number of coordinates not the same in both old and new frame".

I think he means something to the effect of ##\vec{A}\cdot \vec{B}## with ##\vec{A} \in \mathbb{R}^2## and ##\vec{B} \in \mathbb{R}^3##

So replace frames with coordinate systems.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I think he means something to the effect of ##\vec{A}\cdot \vec{B}## with ##\vec{A} \in \mathbb{R}^2## and ##\vec{B} \in \mathbb{R}^3##
Maybe. But then the dot product of ##\vec A## and ##\vec B## is undefined.

True. But that's the best way that I can interpret what the OP means.

HallsofIvy said:
What, exactly, do you mean by "number of coordinates"? In any frame, the "number of coordinates" should be equal to the dimension of the space which is independent of the choice of frame. I don't see how it is possible to have "the number of coordinates not the same in both old and new frame".
Just to add that , if the dimension of the embedded object or subobject is lower than that of the ambient space of dimension n, the coordinates can be parametrized with fewer than n variables, e.g., a curve in space being parametrized by a single variable.

1. What is the difference between contravariant and covariant vectors?

Contravariant and covariant vectors are two types of vectors that are defined based on their transformation properties under coordinate transformations. Contravariant vectors are defined as vectors whose components change in the opposite direction as the coordinate system, while covariant vectors change in the same direction as the coordinate system.

2. How are contravariant and covariant vectors used in physics?

In physics, contravariant and covariant vectors are used to describe the physical quantities that are independent of the coordinate system. Contravariant vectors are commonly used to describe velocities and momenta, while covariant vectors are used to describe forces and energy.

3. Can a vector be both contravariant and covariant?

No, a vector cannot be both contravariant and covariant at the same time. The transformation properties of contravariant and covariant vectors are mutually exclusive, and a vector can only have one type of transformation property.

4. How can contravariant and covariant vectors be represented mathematically?

Contravariant and covariant vectors can be represented mathematically using index notation. Contravariant vectors are denoted with upper indices, while covariant vectors are denoted with lower indices. The transformation properties of these vectors can be expressed using the Einstein summation convention.

5. What is the importance of understanding contravariant and covariant vectors?

Understanding contravariant and covariant vectors is crucial in many fields of science, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. These concepts are fundamental in describing physical quantities and their transformation properties, and are essential in the development of theories and models in various scientific disciplines.