Units if conversion between covariant/contravariant tensors

In summary, covariant and contravariant tensors are types of mathematical objects that transform in different ways when the coordinate system is changed. Covariant tensors represent quantities that do not change with a change in coordinate system, while contravariant tensors represent quantities that do change. To convert between the two, the metric tensor is used. These tensors do not have physical units, but the quantities they represent do. Examples of covariant and contravariant tensors include the stress-energy tensor and the electromagnetic field tensor. They are important in physics because they allow for a coordinate-independent description of physical quantities and their relationships. This is particularly useful in fields like relativity and electromagnetism.
joneall
Gold Member
I am still at the stage of trying to assimilate contravariant and covariant tensors, so my question probably has a simpler answer than I realize.

A covariant tensor is like a gradient, as its units increase when the coordinate units do. A contravariant tensor's components decrease when the coordinates increase. In other words, covariant is inversely proportional to length; contravariant, proportional.

This means that if I use the metric to transform a contravariant vector to a covariant tensor, I have changed the units by a factor of length^2. Yet, the metric is dimensionless, at least the Minkowski one is.

What have I misunderstood? I suspect the units don't change, but then my idea of what makes a tensor co- or contravariant is all wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It is common for people to struggle with the concept of covariant and contravariant tensors, so do not feel discouraged.

First of all, it is important to understand that the terms "covariant" and "contravariant" refer to how the components of a tensor transform under a change of coordinates. In other words, it is a mathematical property of the tensor and not related to its physical units.

The confusion may arise because we often use the same notation for both covariant and contravariant tensors, such as using upper and lower indices. However, the position of the indices does not determine the type of tensor; it is the transformation rule that does.

Now, let's address your example of using the metric to transform a contravariant vector to a covariant tensor. The metric is indeed dimensionless, but it does not change the units of the tensor. The units are determined by the physical quantities that the tensor represents, such as length, time, or mass. The metric simply provides a way to relate these quantities in different coordinate systems.

In summary, the concept of covariant and contravariant tensors is not related to their physical units. It is a mathematical property that describes how the components of a tensor transform under a change of coordinates. I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep exploring and asking questions, and you will develop a better understanding of these important concepts in tensor analysis.

1. What is the difference between a covariant and contravariant tensor?

A covariant tensor is a type of mathematical object that transforms according to a particular rule when the coordinate system is changed. A contravariant tensor, on the other hand, transforms in the opposite way. In physics, covariant tensors are used to represent physical quantities that do not change when the coordinate system is changed, while contravariant tensors are used to represent quantities that do change with a change in coordinate system.

2. How do you convert between a covariant and contravariant tensor?

To convert between a covariant and contravariant tensor, you can use the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that relates the two types of tensors. The metric tensor allows you to raise or lower the indices of a tensor, effectively converting it from a covariant to a contravariant or vice versa.

3. What are the units of a covariant or contravariant tensor?

Covariant and contravariant tensors are abstract mathematical objects and do not have physical units. However, the quantities they represent, such as velocity or force, do have units. The units of these quantities will depend on the specific tensor and the physical system being described.

4. Can you give an example of a covariant and contravariant tensor?

One example of a covariant tensor is the stress-energy tensor in general relativity, which represents the energy and momentum of a system. An example of a contravariant tensor is the electromagnetic field tensor, which describes the electromagnetic field in terms of electric and magnetic fields.

5. Why are covariant and contravariant tensors important in physics?

Covariant and contravariant tensors are important in physics because they allow us to describe physical quantities and their relationships in a way that is independent of the coordinate system used. This is especially useful in fields like relativity and electromagnetism, where the laws of physics should remain the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference.