Contributions to total energy in different areas of Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of total energy in classical mechanics and special relativity. In classical mechanics, the total energy of a particle/system is equal to the sum of its kinetic and potential energy, while in special relativity, the total energy also includes the rest energy of the particle. The conversation also touches on the confusion of how to apply the energy equations in certain situations, such as when dealing with photons and their change in wavelength in gravitational fields. However, the concept of photons having gravitational potential energy seems questionable and the conversation concludes with a warning against trying to cover too many topics at once without fully understanding them.
etotheipi
Classically, the total energy of a particle/system ##E = T+V##. This is the usage seen in the Schrödinger equation, since E is an eigenvalue of ##\hat{H}## and ##\hat{H} = \hat{T} + \hat{V}##.

Then in special relativity, the total energy ##E## of a particle/system becomes the rest energy plus the kinetic energy, i.e. ##E = \sqrt{(mc^{2})^{2} + (pc)^{2}} = \gamma mc^{2} = (mc^{2}) + (\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} + \mathcal{O}(v^{4}))##. I understand that this is valid for free particles (i.e. if the potential is constant, set it arbitrarily to zero for the particle). I would have thought then that the full relation would be ##E = \sqrt{(mc^{2})^{2} + (pc)^{2}} + V##, but apparently this is incorrect because it is not a covariant equation?

And secondly, there are some formulae like the Planck-Einstein ##E=hf## relation (which, for example's sake might apply to an electron), where I can't decide whether ##E=T+V## or ##E=E_{0} + T## applies.

I wondered whether someone could help to clarify this? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
Classically, the total energy of a particle/system ##E = T+V##. This is the usage seen in the Schrödinger equation, since E is an eigenvalue of ##\hat{H}## and ##\hat{H} = \hat{T} + \hat{V}##.

Then in special relativity, the total energy ##E## of a particle/system becomes the rest energy plus the kinetic energy, i.e. ##E = \sqrt{(mc^{2})^{2} + (pc)^{2}} = \gamma mc^{2} = (mc^{2}) + (\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} + \mathcal{O}(v^{4}))##. I understand that this is valid for free particles (i.e. if the potential is constant, set it arbitrarily to zero for the particle). I would have thought then that the full relation would be ##E = \sqrt{(mc^{2})^{2} + (pc)^{2}} + V##, but apparently this is incorrect because it is not a covariant equation?

And secondly, there are some formulae like the Planck-Einstein ##E=hf## relation (which, for example's sake might apply to an electron), where I can't decide whether ##E=T+V## or ##E=E_{0} + T## applies.

I wondered whether someone could help to clarify this? Thank you.
You have to distinguish between relativistic and non-relativistic theories. Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics are non-relativistic.

You can look up the relativistic Lagrangian for a free particle and the Klein-Gordon equation if you want to see a basic attempt to combine QM with SR.

The full story is, of course, QFT.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
You have to distinguish between relativistic and non-relativistic theories. Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics are non-relativistic.

So in the case of a classical photon it might then seem correct to say ##E = T + V = hf##, though ##V## is often zero.

But I've come across questions about e.g, the change in wavelength of photons as they move through gravitational fields, so we might say that if it "gains 100J of GPE" (if we give it an effective mass) then ##hf## reduces by 100J. But this seems different to the ##E = T+V## relation just above, since now we're just taking ##hf+V## to be constant!

etotheipi said:
So in the case of a classical photon it might then seem correct to say ##E = T + V = hf##, though ##V## is often zero.

But I've come across questions about e.g, the change in wavelength of photons as they move through gravitational fields, so we might say that if it "gains 100J of GPE" (if we give it an effective mass) then ##hf## reduces by 100J. But this seems different to the ##E = T+V## relation just above, since now we're just taking ##hf+V## to be constant!

This post has a significant confusion of ideas and concepts.

I'm not sure there is a such a thing as a classical photon. Classically, light is described as an EM wave and there is no concept of a photon as a particle subject to EM potential.

Relativistically, changes in wavelength of a photon do not reflect any inherent change in the photon itself. Instead, redshift and blueshift (whether "velocity-based" or "curved-spacetime-based") are a function of the relationship between the source and the receiver.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
This post has a significant confusion of ideas and concepts.

I'm not sure there is a such a thing as a classical photon. Classically, light is described as an EM wave and there is no concept of a photon as a particle subject to EM potential.

Relativistically, changes in wavelength of a photon do not reflect any inherent change in the photon itself. Instead, redshift and blueshift (whether "velocity-based" or "curved-spacetime-based") are a function of the relationship between the source and the receiver.

I think this was in a BPhO question a few years back where you had to calculate something to do with how the wavelength changed as a photon escaped a planet, and the way you were supposed to do it was equate ##hf = mc^{2}## to define an effective mass, and then let ##hf + mgh = \text{constant}##. Seems quite sketchy, though.

It might be the case that the effect is real (Pound-Rebka?) but the Physics is far too complicated to put on a paper like that. Because I agree with what you say, and photons having GPE seems wrong.

etotheipi said:
I think this was in a BPhO question a few years back where you had to calculate something to do with how the wavelength changed as a photon escaped a planet, and the way you were supposed to do it was equate ##hf = mc^{2}## to define an effective mass, and then let ##hf + mgh = \text{constant}##. Seems quite sketchy, though.

It might be the case that the effect is real (Pound-Rebka?) but the Physics is far too complicated to put on a paper like that. Because I agree with what you say, and photons having GPE seems wrong.

I suppose it depends how you want to learn physics. I'd be slightly concerned that you're looking at many areas at once, but not necessarily digesting them. You need to avoid dilettanteism!

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
I suppose it depends how you want to learn physics. I'd be slightly concerned that you're looking at many areas at once, but not necessarily digesting them. You need to avoid dilettanteism!

Didn't know that was a word! I think part of the problem is that examiners tend to squeeze bits of quantum and relativity onto the spec but then don't go into nearly enough depth for anything to be coherent, and this just means that misconceptions are much more likely to come up, this thread being an example of one such misconception...!

I'd be much happier if high school physics was more focused around solely Classical Physics so that they could go a lot further with mechanics/optics/E&M/astro etc. and leave quantum/relativity for university, where they could be taught properly from the ground up. But hey ho!

Likes weirdoguy and PeroK

What is the concept of energy and its contributions in different areas of Physics?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. In Physics, it is a fundamental quantity that is conserved and can exist in different forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and electromagnetic energy. The contributions of energy in different areas of Physics depend on the specific field of study, but it is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior and interactions of matter and forces.

How is energy conserved in different areas of Physics?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This principle applies to all areas of Physics, from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics. For example, in mechanics, the total mechanical energy of a system remains constant unless an external force acts on it. In thermodynamics, energy can be transferred between systems, but the total energy of the universe remains constant.

What are the different types of energy and their contributions in Physics?

There are several types of energy, including mechanical, thermal, electrical, chemical, nuclear, and electromagnetic. Each type of energy has its unique contribution in different areas of Physics. For instance, mechanical energy plays a crucial role in classical mechanics, while electromagnetic energy is essential in the study of electromagnetism and optics.

How do energy transformations occur in different areas of Physics?

Energy transformations occur when energy is converted from one form to another. This process is prevalent in all areas of Physics, such as in the conversion of electrical energy to light energy in a light bulb or the transformation of potential energy to kinetic energy in an object falling due to gravity. These transformations follow the law of conservation of energy and are vital in understanding the behavior of systems.

What are the practical applications of energy contributions in different areas of Physics?

The contributions of energy in different areas of Physics have numerous practical applications. For example, the understanding of thermal energy and its transfer is essential in designing efficient heating and cooling systems. The principles of electromagnetic energy are utilized in technologies such as radios, televisions, and computers. The study of energy in Physics also helps in the development of renewable energy sources and sustainable energy solutions.