Control Systems Engineering - Block Reduction Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the reduction of a block diagram and the steps taken to achieve this. The individual runs into issues and discusses their attempts at reducing the diagram, including moving the 1/s block and adjusting the forward path. They also mention trying to move the 6s path and suggest alternative methods for reducing the diagram. The conversation concludes with the individual expressing their dislike for these types of problems.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Hello,

I'm trying to reduce the following block diagram

Capture.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I appear to be having some issues in doing this. The first thing that I did to reduce this block diagram was to take the forward path that has 2/(s+4) with negative feedback of 2, and reduce this by

(K G(s))/(1 + K*G(s)*H(s)) = (3/(s+4))/(1 + 6/(s+4)) = 3/(s+4 + 6) = 3/(s+10)

I also moved the 1/s block to the left of the summation. This resulted in a parallel path with a gain of one. I reduced this to simply a forward path with 1/s + 1.

I then did the following with 6s and the negative feedback with a gain of 1

This resulted in a reduced diagram with

(1/s +1)*3/(s+10)

in the forward path with a negative feedback of 6s+1

I guess I have done something wrong, and I'm not exactly sure what. Below is a picture of what I did.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks for any help. I guess I'm doing something wrong, but am not exactly sure what it is I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
I also moved the 1/s block to the left of the summation. This resulted in a parallel path with a gain of one. I reduced this to simply a forward path with 1/s + 1.

When you did this, did you remember to adjust the 6s path as well? TBH I worked hard to forget all this stuff. But I'm pretty sure I got stuck on this exact question as well =D
Could you try moving the 1/s instead to the right? That way you'd only need to adjust the foward path 1 to S

You could also try moving the 6s into the 1 feedback, but would have to adjust that forward back then to 1-6s I really hated these was always much better with the equations :)

GreenPrint said:

like cpscdave said there is your problem

1. What is a control system in engineering?

A control system in engineering is a system that manages and regulates the behavior of other systems or processes. It uses feedback to maintain a desired output or performance, and can be found in a variety of applications such as manufacturing, transportation, and electronics.

2. What is block reduction in control systems engineering?

Block reduction is a technique used in control systems engineering to simplify complex systems. It involves combining multiple blocks or components in a system into a single block, reducing the number of elements in the system and making it easier to analyze and control.

3. How is block reduction helpful in control systems engineering?

Block reduction is helpful in control systems engineering because it simplifies the system and makes it easier to understand and control. It also reduces the computational complexity and allows for faster analysis and design of the system.

4. What are the different methods of block reduction in control systems engineering?

There are several methods of block reduction in control systems engineering, including the Mason's gain formula, the signal flow graph method, and the block diagram algebra method. Each method has its advantages and is used for different types of systems.

5. Can block reduction be applied to any type of control system?

Yes, block reduction can be applied to most types of control systems, including continuous-time, discrete-time, and digital systems. It is a general technique that can be used to simplify and analyze a wide range of systems in control systems engineering.