Alternative Methods vs Iterative Design — Control Theory

In summary: These techniques can offer a more direct and systematic approach to controller design, compared to iterative methods which may require multiple trial and error iterations. In summary, analytical design techniques provide an alternative to iterative design in control theory, offering a more efficient and precise approach to controller design.
ltkach2015
QUESTION (2/2)

1)
What are some alternatives to iterative design in control theory?

2)
I have a certain plant transfer function PTF(s) that is higher order than two and non-unity numerator.
I want certain characteristics such as a certain damping ratio (zeta).
So I want approximate it as second order (specially second order underdamped approximation)
I introduce controller whose transfer function is K(s) in the feed-foward direction, and a unity gain in (-) feedback
PTF(s) has open loop zeros which will become closed loop zeros (and a part of the denominator of the closed loop transfer function). So, I want to cancel the closed loop zeros with the higher order closed loop poles.
I impose the "Angle Design Criteria" in-conjuction with the second order approximation constraint, therefore I determine that the system would need a phase lead angle (e.g. -75.89 degrees)
This implies that the difference of controller's pole angles and zero angles is negative.
There must exist either only: one zero and no poles, or some combination that yields a negative angle.

So I introduce lag compensator which will increase the order of my system and introduce another closed loop zero
case1) K(s) = (s+z1); no poles, so I using angle criteria I can determine the zero location
or
case2) K(s) = (s+z2)/(s+p2); I set the zero arbitrarily, and determine pole location from angle criteria

So my OLTF = K(s)*PTF(s); (OLTF denotes open loop transfer function)

both cases may not satisfy the second order approximation constraints.

How can I analytically solve for pole and zero location that satisfy angle criteria and second order approximation constraints? (given the compensator chosen) Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One alternative to iterative design in control theory is the use of analytical design techniques. Analytical techniques involve the use of mathematical equations and algorithms to design controllers based on desired performance characteristics. These techniques can be used to solve for pole and zero locations that satisfy angle criteria and second order approximation constraints. For example, the root locus technique can be used to graphically identify the stable operating point for a given system and then determine the optimal controller parameters, while the frequency response method can be used to analyze the response of a system to a sinusoidal input and then design the controller accordingly. Other analytical methods include the state space approach and the loop shaping approach.

1. What is the difference between alternative methods and iterative design?

Alternative methods involve finding a completely new solution to a problem, while iterative design involves making small, incremental changes to an existing solution.

2. How does control theory apply to alternative methods and iterative design?

Control theory is the study of how systems can be controlled and optimized. It can be applied to both alternative methods and iterative design by providing a framework for evaluating and improving the effectiveness of these methods.

3. Which approach is better for problem-solving: alternative methods or iterative design?

Neither approach is inherently better than the other. The best approach depends on the specific problem and the resources and constraints involved. Alternative methods may be more suitable for completely new problems, while iterative design may be more effective for refining and optimizing existing solutions.

4. How can alternative methods and iterative design be combined?

Alternative methods and iterative design can be combined by using alternative methods to generate new solutions and then using iterative design to refine and improve upon those solutions.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using alternative methods or iterative design?

One potential drawback of alternative methods is that they may not be as efficient or cost-effective as iterative design, as they involve starting from scratch and may require more resources. On the other hand, iterative design may not lead to truly innovative solutions and may be limited by the existing solution. Both approaches also have the potential to overlook important factors or variables that could impact the effectiveness of the solution.