What is speed of response of a control system

In summary, the author is trying to find a way to measure the speed of response of different systems. He used step response plots to measure stability, relative stability, and speed of response. Stable systems had no encirclement of -1, relative stability was determined by analysing the phase and gain margin, and response time was measured by applying a step input and measuring the time it took for the output to settle within a certain percentage of the expected output.
MattH150197

Homework Statement

In a report I am asked to assess the speed of response of various systems, however I am not exactly sure what this means, be great if someone could explain

The Attempt at a Solution

Step response plots were produced for each simulation and MATLAB was used to assign characteristics such as settling time and overshoot so is speed of response a combination of these or is it literally how quickly it responds to overshooting or undershooting the final value.

Physics news on Phys.org
Speed of response is not a well defined term.

In your attempt at solution, you calculated the response of one system. Where are the various systems?

Do you have the actual written assignment? If so, please post it so that we can see the exact wording.

Okay i have attached the lab assignment and you will see what I am talking about if you look at the last slide, i have also attached 2 of the different step responses which were for task 2 on the assignment. Thanks.

Attachments

• Final Year Control Lab (BAS 2017).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 347
  • Step response.png
    Step response.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 535
  • Step response2.png
    Step response2.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 559
OK, it says.
Assess the stability, relative stability, and speed of response of each closed loop system,

It appears that "each closed loop system" refers to the different tuning methods.

The terms "stability, relative stability, and speed of response" have no precise standard definitions. Before we say how we would define them, tell us how you would define them and what measurements you would use to characterize them.

So we also produced Nyquist and Bode plots for each simulation, for stability i mentioned how there is no encirclement of -1 therefore the system is stable, for relative stability i explained the degree of stability for each system by analysing the phase and gain margin.

I'm very rusty but one way to measure response time is to apply a step input and measure the time it takes for the output to settle within a certain percentage of the expected output.

Perhaps Google Critical damping.

Likes FactChecker
CWatters said:
one way to measure response time is to apply a step input and measure the time it takes for the output to settle within a certain percentage of the expected output.
Without further information, that is also how I would interpret the term "speed of response". The settling time shown in the step response figure is good.

EDIT: I didn't mean to imply that the settling time in the figure is a good settling time. I mean that the type of analysis was probably what the want.

Last edited:
Okay thanks very much for your help guys!

1. What is the definition of speed of response in a control system?

The speed of response in a control system is the measure of how quickly the system can respond to a change in its input and produce a corresponding output. It is a measure of the system's ability to adjust and stabilize itself to changes in its environment.

2. How is the speed of response of a control system measured?

The speed of response is typically measured in terms of rise time, settling time, and overshoot. Rise time is the time it takes for the output to reach a certain percentage of its final value after a step change in the input. Settling time is the time it takes for the output to reach and stay within a certain percentage of its final value. Overshoot is the amount by which the output exceeds its final value before stabilizing.

3. What factors affect the speed of response of a control system?

The speed of response of a control system can be affected by various factors, including the system's type (such as first-order or second-order), its parameters (such as gain and time constants), and the type and magnitude of the input disturbance. Additionally, any delays or time lags in the system can also affect its speed of response.

4. How can the speed of response of a control system be improved?

The speed of response of a control system can be improved by optimizing the system's design and parameters. This can involve adjusting the system's gains and time constants, as well as minimizing any delays or lags. Additionally, using advanced control techniques such as feedforward and cascade control can also improve the speed of response.

5. Why is the speed of response important in control systems?

The speed of response is important in control systems because it determines how quickly the system can adjust to changes and maintain stability. A faster speed of response means the system can quickly adapt to disturbances and maintain its desired output, which is essential in many real-world applications. Additionally, a slow speed of response can lead to instability and poor performance of the system.