Control Theory prerequisites and learning

In summary, the conversation discusses the prerequisites for learning basic control theory, with a focus on quadcopter design. The necessary math skills include a strong understanding of algebra, Laplace transformations, and basic calculus, with linear algebra as a later requirement for more advanced work. The recommended topics to study include block diagrams, feedback theory, frequency and time domains, poles and zeros, and PID controllers. Starting with a simple one motor control system is suggested before moving on to more complex projects. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of understanding feedback theory, poles and zeros, and system dynamics after mastering the math skills.
tridianprime
Hello, I have recently been doing a lot of research around designing quadcopters/hexcopters and so forth. I have come to the conclusion that it may be fun to learn bait of control theory on the side and it sounds useful for later on when I go to university. Do you know what the prerequisite are? I have heard that it is DE in mathematics(?) but what else? Also, what can you use to learn basic control theory?

Thanks, Sam.

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on whether you want to look at things from a very high level, or you want to get down nitty gritty and do the math.

To do the math you at the very least need to have a very good understanding of algebra and Laplace transformations. A Laplace transformation converts an equation from the time domain to the frequency domain and vice versa. It allows you to solve extremely complex differential equations with algebra. You should also have a good understanding of basic calculus (I am assuming if you know Laplace you will know basic calc).

I would start out by studying topics in the following order

1. Block diagrams (dervive an equation from a block diagram and vice versa). This also includes
2. feedback theory
3. How the frequency domain relates to the time domain
4. Poles/Zeros (what they are, how they effect the system in both the time and frequency domain)
5. PID controllers

A good first project is controller the position or speed of a servo or motor. The cool thing about this is you can get very mathematical and design the system perfectly, or can just dive into tuning a PID controller. either method works.

Let me know if you have any questions

Okay, that looks great thanks. I have studied single variable calculus, first course in linear algebra, tiny bit of DE(no laplace), and multivariable calculus. Once I have refined these and done some more DE, what would you suggest next?

donpacino said:
A good first project is controller the position or speed of a servo or motor. The cool thing about this is you can get very mathematical and design the system perfectly, or can just dive into tuning a PID controller. either method works.

I am working on a flight controller for a quad copter. Would this act as a good project if I did it in the right way(hence this thread)?

tridianprime said:
I am working on a flight controller for a quad copter. Would this act as a good project if I did it in the right way(hence this thread)?

Yes it would act like a good project. However a quadcoptor can be a fairly complicated project due to the fact that it has multiple output (ie the speed of the four props).

At a very small and simple level, this is basically how a quadcoptor works. A gyroscope is used to measure the tilt of the quadcoptor. let's say the quadcoptor is tilted slightly to the right. The speed of the props on the left are increased until that tilt is normalized.

The control techniques are slightly different, but the concept is the same. At the end of the day, it may be easier for you to start with a simple one motor control system.

tridianprime said:
Okay, that looks great thanks. I have studied single variable calculus, first course in linear algebra, tiny bit of DE(no Laplace), and multivariable calculus. Once I have refined these and done some more DE, what would you suggest next?

After that the only other mathematical prereq is linear algebra (primarily for state space representation). There is other math necessary for advanced work, but those are all grad school or higher level of detail.

The important thing to study after you get the math down is feedback theory, the effects of poles/zeros, and system dynamics

Likes 1 person
donpacino said:
After that the only other mathematical prereq is linear algebra (primarily for state space representation). There is other math necessary for advanced work, but those are all grad school or higher level of detail.

The important thing to study after you get the math down is feedback theory, the effects of poles/zeros, and system dynamics

Brilliant, I will get started. You have been very helpful.

I will look into single motor projects as well, thanks.

1. What is control theory?

Control theory is a branch of engineering and mathematics that deals with the principles and methods for designing and analyzing systems that need to be controlled in order to achieve a desired output or behavior. It is widely used in various fields such as robotics, economics, and psychology.

2. What are the prerequisites for learning control theory?

To understand control theory, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Basic knowledge of physics and electrical circuits is also helpful.

3. What are the key concepts in control theory?

There are several key concepts in control theory, including stability, feedback, controllability, observability, and optimization. Stability refers to the ability of a system to maintain its desired behavior over time. Feedback is the process of using information from the system's output to adjust its input. Controllability and observability are properties that determine the ability to control and observe a system, respectively. Optimization involves finding the best control strategy to achieve a desired output.

4. How is control theory applied in real-world systems?

Control theory has a wide range of applications in various industries and fields. It is used to design and control complex systems such as aircraft, satellites, and manufacturing processes. It is also used in economics to model and control financial systems, and in psychology to understand and control human behavior.

5. What are some resources for learning control theory?

There are many resources available for learning control theory, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. Some popular textbooks include "Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems" by Gene F. Franklin, "Modern Control Systems" by Richard C. Dorf and Robert H. Bishop, and "Optimal Control Theory: An Introduction" by Donald E. Kirk. Online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX are also available, as well as free tutorials and lectures on YouTube.