Mathematical prerequisites for General Relativity

In summary, the individual is a working professional who wants to get back into studying physics, specifically General Relativity. They have a decent understanding of Special Relativity but plan to refresh themselves on it. They are looking for the best method to learn the prerequisite Mathematics needed for GR, including Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus. They want to eventually be able to solve problems in GR but do not want to get bogged down by proof-oriented mathematics books. They are also interested in plodding their way through MTW and are looking for a good GR book for someone with their background. The expert suggests Hartle's "Gravity - An Introduction to GR" and recommends having a solid grasp of vector calculus and a thorough understanding of SR before tackling
arunmk
I am a working professional trying to get back to some physics that I used to enjoy a couple of decades ago. I still do remember the basic calculus (integrals, partial derivatives, basic ODE) and am interested in studying General Relativity. I have a decent understanding and memory of Special Relativity but will refresh myself on it.

What is the best method (courses, set of books etc) to learn the prerequisite Mathematics needed? I think I will need a refresher of Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus. I do want to eventually be able to solve problems in GR, but do not want to get bogged down too much by proof-oriented mathematics books. I would also eventually like to plod my way through MTW.

Also, what would be a good GR book for someone of this background?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
arunmk said:
I am a working professional trying to get back to some physics that I used to enjoy a couple of decades ago. I still do remember the basic calculus (integrals, partial derivatives, basic ODE) and am interested in studying General Relativity. I have a decent understanding and memory of Special Relativity but will refresh myself on it.

What is the best method (courses, set of books etc) to learn the prerequisite Mathematics needed? I think I will need a refresher of Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus. I do want to eventually be able to solve problems in GR, but do not want to get bogged down too much by proof-oriented mathematics books. I would also eventually like to plod my way through MTW.

Also, what would be a good GR book for someone of this background?

Thanks in advance!

Take a look at Hartle's Gravity - An Introduction to GR.

You'll need a solid grasp of vector calculus but you don't need an extensive course in differential geometry.

Hartle gives a brief review of SR, but I suggest you revise SR thoroughly beforehand.

PeroK said:

You'll need a solid grasp of vector calculus but you don't need an extensive course in differential geometry.

Hartle gives a brief review of SR, but I suggest you revise SR thoroughly beforehand.

Thanks.

For Vector Calculus (which is a gap for me), how much knowledge is enough? I remember the basic operations and get the required skills soon. Do we need Stokes’ theorem etc?

For SR, I plan to go through Taylor and Wheeler. Would that need Maxwell’s equations?

Thanks again!

arunmk said:
Thanks.

For Vector Calculus (which is a gap for me), how much knowledge is enough? I remember the basic operations and get the required skills soon. Do we need Stokes’ theorem etc?

For SR, I plan to go through Taylor and Wheeler. Would that need Maxwell’s equations?

Thanks again!

Re calculus generally, if you search for "paul's online notes calculus" you'll find university course notes that are useful for revision and reference.

Even though Hartle goes as easy as possible on the student, you need to be familiar with multivariable calculus. I remember someone a year or two ago came to something early in Hartle that threw him. As far as he was concerned it was complex maths pulled out of thin air, but it was just fairly standard calculus.

Maxwell's equations don't feature in Hartle's book.

PeroK said:

Thanks. Could you tell me what would mean by a thorough review of SR?
PeroK said:
Re calculus generally, if you search for "paul's online notes calculus" you'll find university course notes that are useful for revision and reference.

Even though Hartle goes as easy as possible on the student, you need to be familiar with multivariable calculus. I remember someone a year or two ago came to something early in Hartle that threw him. As far as he was concerned it was complex maths pulled out of thin air, but it was just fairly standard calculus.

Maxwell's equations don't feature in Hartle's book.

Thanks for the clarifications, this is awesome.

arunmk said:
Thanks. Could you tell me what would mean by a thorough review of SR?

You need to have the core concepts of SR understood completely. Especially spacetime and four-vectors.

Also, if you haven't studied physics for a while, it may be a useful, even essential, step to relearn SR completely before tackling GR.

Likes CalcNerd
PeroK said:
You need to have the core concepts of SR understood completely. Especially spacetime and four-vectors.

Also, if you haven't studied physics for a while, it may be a useful, even essential, step to relearn SR completely before tackling GR.

Thanks a lot. I’ll follow your advise and reread SR before tackling GR.

arunmk said:
Thanks.

Thanks again!

Basic concepts of mechanics (e.g. momentum conservation) and trig should be enough for Taylor & Wheeler.

For GR, I don't think a lot of vector calculus manipulation of the sort used in EM is needed. You should know basics like the gradient, divergence, curl and Laplacian.

You should be familiar with some classical physics concepts for GR: Gauss's Law, Poisson's equation, Newtonian orbits, effective potential, plain waves.

You may want to get a good reference on Newtonian mechanics (e.g. Symon) for background reading.

Daverz said:
Basic concepts of mechanics (e.g. momentum conservation) and trig should be enough for Taylor & Wheeler.

For GR, I don't think a lot of vector calculus manipulation of the sort used in EM is needed. You should know basics like the gradient, divergence, curl and Laplacian.

You should be familiar with some classical physics concepts for GR: Gauss's Law, Poisson's equation, Newtonian orbits, effective potential, plain waves.

You may want to get a good reference on Newtonian mechanics (e.g. Symon) for background reading.

Thanks for this info!

1. What is the level of math proficiency needed to understand General Relativity?

The study of General Relativity requires a strong foundation in differential and integral calculus, linear algebra, and tensor analysis. A good understanding of geometry and basic physics concepts is also necessary.

2. What is tensor analysis and why is it important for General Relativity?

Tensor analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with vectors and their transformations in multiple dimensions. It is essential for understanding the mathematical formalism of General Relativity, which uses tensors to describe the curvature of spacetime.

3. Do I need to know about special relativity before studying General Relativity?

While it is not strictly necessary, having a good understanding of special relativity can be helpful in understanding the concepts of spacetime and the equivalence principle, which are foundational to General Relativity.

4. Can I learn General Relativity without a strong background in math?

General Relativity is a highly mathematical theory, and it would be challenging to understand it without a solid foundation in math. However, with dedication and effort, it is possible to learn the necessary math skills alongside the theory itself.

5. Are there any specific topics in math that I should focus on before studying General Relativity?

In addition to calculus, linear algebra, and tensor analysis, it would be helpful to have a good understanding of vector calculus, differential equations, and some basic concepts of geometry, such as curvature and manifolds.