Controlling 10 mA Relay with Opening/Closing Switches

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a switch to turn on and off a 10 ma relay. It is suggested that the circuit shown may not work correctly and that using Google Images to find alternative circuits may be helpful. It is also mentioned that a diode may be necessary to prevent damage to the transistor when the switch turns off.
John1397
Can opening and closing switch turn on and off 10 ma relay
213876-37ca1887f27360392fe41e7e88c748a7.jpg

Attachments

• Switch.JPG
    Switch.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 316
  • 213876-37ca1887f27360392fe41e7e88c748a7.jpg
    213876-37ca1887f27360392fe41e7e88c748a7.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 660
Engineering news on Phys.org
John1397 said:
Can opening and closing switch turn on and off 10 ma relay
View attachment 230796
Not as drawn, but with a couple more resistors (or just a different configuration) and a diode, it can work. Have you tried using Google Images to find such circuits? Where did you get this one?

Likes CWatters
berkeman said:
Where did you get this one?

I think it's just misdrawn. NPN is supposed to be a PNP. I personally wouldn't do it that way but with the correct PNP it should work...

eq1 said:
I think it's just misdrawn. NPN is supposed to be a PNP. I personally wouldn't do it that way but with the correct PNP it should work...
Ah, interesting thought! At least it will work once with the PNP (and no diode)... :wink:

Likes dlgoff
The relay coil is an inductor so it needs a parallel power diode to prevent the inductive reverse voltage spike that will otherwise destroy the transistor when the switch turns off and the magnetic field collapses.

1. How do I know if a 10 mA relay is suitable for my project?

The suitability of a 10 mA relay depends on the specific requirements of your project. You should check the voltage and current ratings of the relay to ensure it can handle the power load of your system. It is also important to consider the type of switching mechanism (e.g. mechanical, solid-state) and the expected lifespan of the relay.

2. Can I use any type of switch to control a 10 mA relay?

Yes, as long as the switch is able to handle the current and voltage ratings of the relay. It is important to make sure the switch is able to safely open and close the circuit without causing damage to the relay or other components.

3. How do I connect the switches to the 10 mA relay?

The switches can be connected to the relay by using wiring or a breadboard. It is important to follow the wiring diagram provided by the relay manufacturer to ensure proper connection and functionality.

4. Can I control multiple 10 mA relays with one switch?

Yes, you can use a multi-pole switch or a relay driver circuit to control multiple 10 mA relays with one switch. However, it is important to make sure the switch and relay ratings are compatible and the wiring is done correctly to avoid any malfunctions or damage.

5. Can I use a transistor to control the 10 mA relay instead of a switch?

Yes, a transistor can be used to control the 10 mA relay by acting as a switch. This can be useful for applications where a microcontroller or other electronic component is used to trigger the relay. It is important to select a transistor with appropriate ratings and ensure proper wiring and circuit design to avoid any issues.