Controlling helium balloon attitude

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of controlling the attitude of helium balloons without cutting them or dropping weight. One option discussed is using a tank, pump, and valve to adjust the amount of helium in the balloon. However, there is a potential issue with the balloon expanding due to lower pressure at higher altitudes. There is also mention of using a bladder inside the balloon to pump air in or out.
bbd001
Hi,

Is it possible to control the attitude of helium balloons without cutting the balloons or dropping the weight? (e.g. using a remote control to control "something" to adjust the attitude)

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use a tank, pump and valve.

thx for the reply russ.

Can you give me more information?

If I have a tank fill with helium, it is part of the system. Releasing the gas from the tank is like cutting some of the balloons. If I want to move up again, the system cannot get extra helium back from the sky.

If I pump/release air (instead of helium or other material that is lighter than air), it can adjust the over all system weight a little bit, but it should not enough to adjust the attitude. Is that right?

thx

bbd001 said:
Can you give me more information? If I have a tank fill with helium, it is part of the system. Releasing the gas from the tank is like cutting some of the balloons.
I'm pretty sure he meant to use the tank to move the higher density helium from the tank into the balloon, and a pump to move the lower density helium in the balloon back into the tank. The balloon would expand or contract depending on how much helium was in the balloon, and the tanks expansion or contraction would not be significant.

You'd have a side issue with the balloon expanding due to lower pressure of the atmoshpere at higher altitudes.

You have a bladder in the main balloon that you can pump air in or out off.

Related to Controlling helium balloon attitude

1. How do helium balloons maintain their altitude?

Helium balloons maintain their altitude by utilizing the principle of buoyancy. The helium gas inside the balloon is less dense than the surrounding air, causing it to float upwards.

2. Can helium balloons be steered or controlled?

Yes, helium balloons can be steered or controlled by changing the weight and position of the payload attached to the balloon. This can be achieved by adding or removing weight, or by using a small motor or fan to control the direction of airflow around the balloon.

3. Why do helium balloons sometimes lose altitude over time?

Helium balloons may lose altitude over time due to various factors such as changes in atmospheric pressure, temperature, and humidity. As the helium gas inside the balloon cools down, it becomes denser and may cause the balloon to lose some of its lift.

4. How do scientists measure and monitor the attitude of a helium balloon?

Scientists use a variety of sensors and instruments to measure and monitor the attitude of a helium balloon. These can include altimeters, accelerometers, gyroscopes, and GPS systems. Data from these sensors is then used to make adjustments to the balloon's position and trajectory.

5. Can helium balloons be used for scientific research?

Yes, helium balloons are commonly used for scientific research in various fields such as meteorology, atmospheric science, and astronomy. They can be used to collect data and samples from different altitudes and locations, providing valuable insights and information for research purposes.