Estimating balloon internal pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the internal pressure in a compliant balloon and the necessary data needed for a reliable estimation. It also mentions the use of a stress-strain curve and the assumption that the balloon is spherical. The equation for calculating pressure difference is also provided, along with the need for laboratory measurements to determine the relationship between engineering stress and stretch ratio. The conversation ends with a question about using a uniaxial testing machine for material testing.
kiwi_zt
Hi guys, firstly this is not a homework question despite looking like one.

I'm curious about how one would go about estimating the internal pressure in a compliant balloon.

I am assuming that I would need the following:

1. Stress-strain curve of the material
2. Diameter of the uninflated balloon
3. Thickness of the uninflated balloon
4. Final size of the inflated balloon
5. Assume that the balloon is spherical and expands so

How would I use this data to help me get a reliable estimation?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's made out of rubber, a linear stress-strain curve would not be sufficient. If the balloon remains spherical, the deformation of the balloon membrane can be characterized as a transversely isotropic equal biaxial stretching, and the principal in-plane stretch ratio will be ##\lambda=r/r_0##, where ##r_0## is the original radius. The stress ##\sigma## within the membrane, for a stretch ratio of ##\lambda## can be expressed as ##\sigma=\sigma(\lambda)##. If one does a force balance on the upper hemisphere, one obtains:$$\pi r^2\Delta p=2\pi r h\sigma$$or $$\Delta p=\frac{2\sigma h}{r}$$where h is the current thickness of the membrane and ##\Delta p## is the pressure difference. Since rubber is nearly incompressible, we can write ##h=h_0/\lambda^2##, where ##h_0## is the initial thickness. Substituting this gives:
$$\frac{(\Delta p) r_0}{2h_0}=\frac{\sigma(\lambda)}{\lambda}=\sigma_E(\lambda)$$
where ##\sigma_E## is called the "engineering stress", and represents the stress in the membrane per unit initial (undeformed) of cross sectional area of the membrane. To apply this equation, one would have to perform laboratory measurements in a equal biaxial stretching device to measure the relationship between the engineering stress ##\sigma_E## and the stretch ratio ##\lambda##. In the laboratory stretcher, ##\lambda## would be the ratio of the final length to the initial length of a square sample. Alternately, one could use the balloon itself (at various imposed pressure differences) to measure this material property of the rubber.

Likes kiwi_zt
Hi Chestermiller, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Chestermiller said:
πr2Δp=2πrhσ

I am a little confused with how you arrived at that equation. I know you mentioned doing a force balance on the upper hemisphere, but I don't really understand. I apologise if the answer is obvious!

kiwi_zt said:
Hi Chestermiller, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
I am a little confused with how you arrived at that equation. I know you mentioned doing a force balance on the upper hemisphere, but I don't really understand. I apologise if the answer is obvious!
You conceptually cut the balloon in half, and do a force balance on half the balloon. The cross sectional area of rubber exposed by the cut is ##2\pi r h## and the stress on this exposed surface is ##\sigma##. This is balanced by the net pressure force on the open area ##\pi r^2##.

Is this a balloon you blow-up yourself...?

Chestermiller said:
You conceptually cut the balloon in half, and do a force balance on half the balloon. The cross sectional area of rubber exposed by the cut is ##2\pi r h## and the stress on this exposed surface is ##\sigma##. This is balanced by the net pressure force on the open area ##\pi r^2##.

I see! Just to check - this is assuming that the thickness of the stretched rubber is significantly smaller than the stretched radius, right? So you're taking ##2\pi r## (circumference) multiplied by the thickness, ##h## to get the cross sectional area?

russ_watters said:
Is this a balloon you blow-up yourself...?

Technically I wouldn't be able to blow it up myself.

To be more specific, I am trying to guess the internal balloon pressure of balloons made of different materials. I wouldn't have the capability to make the balloons and blow them up myself!

kiwi_zt said:
I see! Just to check - this is assuming that the thickness of the stretched rubber is significantly smaller than the stretched radius, right? So you're taking ##2\pi r## (circumference) multiplied by the thickness, ##h## to get the cross sectional area?
Sure. Even for the unstretched rubber, it's small.

Likes kiwi_zt
Chestermiller said:
Sure. Even for the unstretched rubber, it's small.

Got it. Thanks a lot!

Regarding testing of the material properties, could I get away with using a uniaxial testing machine?

kiwi_zt said:
Got it. Thanks a lot!

Regarding testing of the material properties, could I get away with using a uniaxial testing machine?
This is a matter of judgment. In my judgment, no. But, as I said, a balloon could be used to measure the key material property.

What is the purpose of estimating balloon internal pressure?

Estimating balloon internal pressure is important for understanding the structural integrity of the balloon and determining its safe operational limits. It allows scientists to predict the behavior of the balloon under different conditions and make necessary adjustments to ensure its safety.

How is balloon internal pressure estimated?

Balloon internal pressure is typically estimated using mathematical calculations and measurements of atmospheric conditions such as temperature and altitude. It can also be estimated using specialized equipment like pressure sensors or by monitoring changes in the balloon's size and shape.

What factors affect balloon internal pressure?

The main factors that affect balloon internal pressure are temperature, altitude, and the volume of gas inside the balloon. As the temperature and altitude change, the pressure inside the balloon will also change. Additionally, adding or releasing gas from the balloon can also impact its internal pressure.

Why is it important to maintain a safe internal pressure in a balloon?

Maintaining a safe internal pressure is crucial for the structural integrity of the balloon. If the pressure inside the balloon becomes too high, it can cause the balloon to burst or rupture. Conversely, if the pressure is too low, the balloon may not be able to maintain its shape and may collapse.

How can balloon internal pressure be regulated during flight?

During flight, balloon internal pressure can be regulated by adjusting the amount of gas inside the balloon or using a pressure relief valve. The gas can be released or added through a valve, and the pressure relief valve will automatically open if the internal pressure exceeds a certain level, preventing the balloon from bursting.