Controlling Room Temperature: Is My Calculation Right?

In summary, the person is working on a project involving a diesel engine that produces ~240kW of heat in a plant house. They need to place a fan in the room to maintain a temperature difference of less than 5°C between the inside and outside. The person has calculated the necessary flow rate of the fan using the equation Q=m*Cp*(T2-T1) and believes it is a reasonable estimate. However, they should also consider other factors such as air leakage and insulation, and may need to adjust the fan speed or size in the future.
VooDoo
I have a bit of a project to work on and wanted to find out if I am doing things correctly. A diesel engine is housed in a plant house and produces ~240kW of heat. Now I need to place a fan in here such that the temperature difference between the room and the outside is less than 5°C.

Firstly, is this possible without using some sort of vapour compression cycles.

This is what I did calculation wise.

Q= m*Cp*(T2-T1)

Q=240kW
Cp= specific heat of the moist air (calculated using psychometric chart)
T2-T1 = 5°C (difference between outside and inside temp)

From this I calculated “m”, which is what I believe the flow rate of the fan should be. Would this be reasonable?

I was speaking to someone and they told me install a fan that moves the volume of the room per second…eg. If room was 30m^3 volume fan capacity would be 30m^3/s. However, I think this is overkill.

Am I on the right track with my calculations? I know that the value of ‘m’ I calculate won't give me exactly a 5°C increase, but would it be a decent rough estimate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your calculations are on the right track. The value of 'm' that you calculate should be a decent rough estimate for the flow rate of the fan needed to achieve the desired temperature difference. However, you should also consider other factors, such as air leakage, insulation, and air flow direction, which can all affect the performance of the fan. Additionally, you may need to adjust the fan speed or size if the conditions in the room change.

Related to Controlling Room Temperature: Is My Calculation Right?

1. How do I calculate the ideal room temperature for my space?

The ideal room temperature can vary depending on personal preference, but a general rule of thumb is to aim for 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit. To calculate the ideal temperature for your specific space, you can use an online calculator or follow the formula: (Desired temperature - Outdoor temperature) x 0.2 + Outdoor temperature = Ideal room temperature.

2. Why is it important to control room temperature?

Controlling room temperature is important for several reasons. It can help maintain comfort and productivity, prevent equipment damage, and conserve energy. Extreme temperatures can also impact our health and well-being, making it crucial to regulate the temperature in our living and working spaces.

3. How do I know if my calculation for room temperature is accurate?

To check the accuracy of your calculation, you can use a thermometer to measure the actual temperature in the room. If it is within the range of your calculated ideal temperature, then your calculation is likely correct. If there is a significant difference, you may need to adjust your calculation or consider other factors such as insulation and drafts in the room.

4. What are some methods for controlling room temperature?

There are several methods for controlling room temperature, including using a thermostat, adjusting windows and doors, using fans or air conditioners, and adding insulation or weatherstripping. The most effective method will depend on the specific space and the desired temperature.

5. How can I save energy while controlling room temperature?

To save energy while controlling room temperature, you can use a programmable thermostat to adjust the temperature according to your schedule, seal any drafts or leaks in windows and doors, and use natural ventilation and shading to regulate temperature. It is also helpful to regularly maintain and clean any heating or cooling systems to ensure they are running efficiently.