Controversial Reactor is Rapidly Gaining Funding Support

In summary, the Versatile Fast Neutron Source, a research fast reactor, is receiving funding support from congress. While some argue that it is necessary for maintaining expertise in the field, others view it as a wasteful project without proper justification. The allocation of science funds and the decision-making process for projects is a complex and political issue. Some suggest that the government should have more direct control over how their money is spent, while others advocate for the scientists to have more autonomy. The article highlights potential issues with the project and raises questions about its potential success or failure.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Versatile Fast Neutron Source, a research fast reactor, is gaining funding support from congress.
Some say it is needed to maintain expertise in the area.
Others says its a boondoggle without a good justification.
More detailed arguments are here in a Science mag news article.

Likes Wrichik Basu, HAYAO and Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a deeply political question. How are science funds allocated? Who decides on projects?

If I was king, I would set the size of the pie, then dictate the ratios of speculative/near-term/applied sciences, and I would make those ratios a matter of public debate. I would regulate how the boards of scientists that control the funds are staffed and structured and retain veto power. Beyond that, I would let the scientists divvy up the pie however they see fit. It is improper for government to pick winners and losers in any field, including science.

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
...speculative/near-term/applied sciences...
Who would judge the research to decide which category each project falls into?

As you say, this is inherently political and immensely complicated. There isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer, but I'm not sure I personally agree with the approach. I think the government and people should have the right to decide more directly how their money is spent.

Anyway, regarding the article, I see some of the usual red flags in it* (if the Union of Concerned Scientists opposes something, that is almost enough on it's own to trigger my support), so I'd have to put some work into looking into this project to decide if I support it.

*Besides the UCS issue, the idea that this could be a "boondoggle" or "pork" would seem unlikely to me. The federal government has a pretty solid recent history of breaking laws to avoid spending money on nuclear power. That includes the Congressmen who's states/districts would be receiving the money!

Last edited:
Likes gmax137

1. What is the controversial reactor and why is it gaining funding support?

The controversial reactor in question is the Molten Salt Reactor, or MSR, which uses liquid fuel rather than solid fuel. It is gaining funding support due to its potential for producing low-cost, clean energy with reduced nuclear waste.

2. Is the Molten Salt Reactor safe?

While the Molten Salt Reactor is still in the early stages of development, experts believe that it has the potential to be safer than traditional nuclear reactors. The liquid fuel design allows for passive safety features, reducing the risk of accidents and meltdowns.

3. What makes the Molten Salt Reactor controversial?

The Molten Salt Reactor is controversial because it uses liquid fuel, which is a departure from traditional nuclear reactors that use solid fuel. Additionally, some critics have raised concerns about the potential for nuclear proliferation and the disposal of the liquid waste produced by the reactor.

4. How does the Molten Salt Reactor differ from other nuclear reactors?

The main difference between the Molten Salt Reactor and other nuclear reactors is the use of liquid fuel. This allows for better temperature control, as well as the potential for the reactor to run at higher temperatures, increasing efficiency and reducing waste. Additionally, the MSR operates at atmospheric pressure, eliminating the need for complex and expensive containment structures.

5. What are the potential benefits of investing in the Molten Salt Reactor?

Investing in the Molten Salt Reactor has the potential to provide a reliable and low-cost source of clean energy, reducing our reliance on fossil fuels. It also has the potential to significantly reduce nuclear waste and decrease the risk of accidents. Additionally, the MSR could potentially be used to produce medical isotopes and other valuable materials, making it a versatile and valuable investment.