Nuclear Engineering PhD (related to reactors)

In summary, the conversation was about a person who is interested in pursuing a PhD in fast reactor technology, particularly in the area of breeding fissile species and closing the fuel cycle. They are unsure of what a PhD in this area would entail and what job opportunities it would lead to. They mention their background in nuclear engineering, computer skills, and research and design experience. They have found a research group at Georgia Tech that aligns with their interests, but also mention other universities and companies involved in fast reactor research. They ask about the balance between computer simulations and experiments, the potential for job opportunities in this field, and the impact on their personal life. The responder mentions that a PhD in reactor physics would mostly involve computer simulations, with limited experimental work
acusick
Hey everybody. This message is for engineers and scientists in and around the reactor field. I would like to gain a better understanding of what a PhD would really be like, the likelihood of acceptance, and what jobs it would entitle me to that I could not obtain with only a masters.

I will be finishing an undergraduate Nuclear Engineering degree at the University of Michigan next year. I have found an interest in fast reactors, as it pertains to breeding fissile species as well as closing the fuel cycle. I am interested in studying these systems, but do not know what it would really mean to do a PhD on this subject.

Basically, I am pretty decent with computers; I am familiar with monte carlo methods for neutron diffusion, etc. My math skills are decent, and I am comfortable with several numerical programs (Mathematica, some Matlab, etc), although programming on computers is not really my favorite thing to do. I have research and design experience in a lab. I am not an exceptional student, but I have a little over a 3.4, and at Michigan that is on the higher end of things. I will be applying to a masters at Michigan as a fail safe, but am really interested in doing a PhD at Georgia Tech. They have a Fast Reactor Research Group who is studying what (I think) I am am interested in.

Questions: What will a PhD in this area consist of? Mostly computer simulations? How creative would this be? Are experiments often run? Is there often flexibility? How do you balance your personal life (typical hours/week)? What jobs would this allow me to have when I am done? Are companies looking for people in this area of knowledge? Could I switch over to PWR's without much trouble? How different are they as far as skill sets? How about demand for someone in that knowledge base internationally? There are a few PhD people in each operating reactor right now (I hear), what do they do? Is it creative? What is pay like? How does it compare to a masters grad that works at a reactor, and how is the job different? What other universities have fast reactor research going on? University of Florida is doing some cool things too, I think. What GPA and GRE scores will they be looking for?

Really I just want to know this would be a good decision, I mean I don't want to sit at a computer all day, every day. I don't want to be the top my field and give up everything I have (girlfriend, family, music, etc.) I'm not doing this to gain respect. I want to enjoy life, but also to contribute to the scientific community, and be a part of a growing technology.

I am really looking forward to any enlightened response, I have been thinking so much about it and haven't been able to find the right people to talk to. Thanks,

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
Commercial plants are LWRs, and that is the technology for currently planned commercial plants.

There are FR concepts in the Gen-IV set.

PhD in reactor physics would essentially be simulation - computational physics. There is limited experimental work in fast reactor concepts. Off hand, I can think of any though.

If one gets a good handle on multi-group diffusion and/or transport theory, one should be able to switch to PWRs without much trouble.

Most operating commercial reactors are under supervision of SROs, who may have BS in NE or other engineering degree. They might have come through the Navy. There are some PhDs at utilities, and quite a few with MS, but they don't do a lot with reactor physics necessarily. The fuel suppliers, AREVA, Toshiba/Westinghouse, and GNF do much of the reload design and safety analysis, except for some utilities, which have developed their own methods based on vendor codes/methods or independent codes like Studvik's SIMULATE.

If one is interested in FR technology, then one might look into activities at INL.

1. What is the difference between a nuclear engineering PhD and a reactor engineering PhD?

A nuclear engineering PhD is a broad degree that covers many aspects of nuclear technology, including reactor design, nuclear fuel cycles, and radiation protection. A reactor engineering PhD is a more specialized degree that focuses specifically on the design and operation of nuclear reactors.

2. What types of reactors are typically studied in a nuclear engineering PhD program?

Nuclear engineering PhD programs usually cover a variety of reactor types, including pressurized water reactors (PWRs), boiling water reactors (BWRs), and advanced reactor designs such as molten salt reactors and fast reactors.

3. What are the job prospects for graduates with a nuclear engineering PhD?

Graduates with a nuclear engineering PhD have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as nuclear power, national laboratories, and government agencies. They can also pursue careers in research and academia.

4. What skills are necessary to succeed in a nuclear engineering PhD program?

A strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering is essential for success in a nuclear engineering PhD program. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills are crucial for conducting independent research in the field.

5. Can a nuclear engineering PhD lead to a career in other industries besides nuclear power?

Yes, a nuclear engineering PhD can lead to careers in other industries such as medical physics, nuclear waste management, and nuclear security. The skills and knowledge gained in a nuclear engineering PhD program are also transferable to other fields, making graduates highly marketable in a variety of industries.