Conventional current, magnetic fields and magnetic poles of different diagrams

In summary: Ya I understand it just didn’t want this guy to waste his time replying to my post. Didn’t mean to sound rude or anything.
joshqg
Homework Statement
Draw the direction of the conventional current or the magnetic field lines. Also indicate the location of the north and south poles where appropriate.
Relevant Equations
#1, 2, 3 Right hand rules
683AB218-6AD0-4189-B576-2C601CDFF250.jpeg

I need to do question 1. I understand the right hand rules but am lost on what to do here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show more effort before we can offer tutorial help.

Can you use the Right-Hand Rule to draw the B-field lines for part (b)?

berkeman said:
You need to show more effort before we can offer tutorial help.

Can you use the Right-Hand Rule to draw the B-field lines for part (b)?
Well the dot is where in comes in and the X is where it comes out, so would it be lines coming out of the dot around towards the X?

No. Can you show an illustration of the Right-Hand Rule for determining the direction of B-field lines circulating around a current-carrying wire?

illustration.png

It's a cloud! :smile:

Is there a figure in your textbook? If so, you can take a good quality picture with your phone using flash, and attach the JPEG file. Or, you can use Google Images to find good images of what I was asking about.

berkeman said:
It's a cloud! :smile:

Is there a figure in your textbook? If so, you can take a good quality picture with your phone using flash, and attach the JPEG file. Or, you can use Google Images to find good images of what I was asking about.
1578704782152.jpeg

Yes, so now you can draw the B-fields circulating the two wires in figure (b). Draw the B-field due to each wire, and then look to see how they add/subtract/cancel in various regions around the wires...

Note -- you have shown figures for when the current-carrying wire is vertical, so you will need to mentally rotate that into the horizontal plane, facing you and facing away from you...

berkeman said:
Yes, so now you can draw the B-fields circulating the two wires in figure (b). Draw the B-field due to each wire, and then look to see how they add/subtract/cancel in various regions around the wires...

Note -- you have shown figures for when the current-carrying wire is vertical, so you will need to mentally rotate that into the horizontal plane, facing you and facing away from you...
Like this?
F1D7E346-292A-41EA-BE36-B1226BC3C860.jpeg

Don't you have a textbook to explain this too? I'm happy to try to guide you through this, but it will be much faster if you just read and understand your textbook.

For example, how does the magnitude of the circulation B-field around a wire drop off with distance?

Draw the B-field of one wire at a time. Show it first for the wire with the current coming at us out of the page. What does that look like?

berkeman said:
Draw the B-field of one wire at a time. Show it first for the wire with the current coming at us out of the page. What does that look like?
I read my textbook and I somewhat understand but the things you're saying are completely different to what my textbook is saying so it's confusing me.

I'd suggest using Google images and searching on something like magnetic field of a current carrying wire. That should give you a good idea of how the B-field forms around a single wire, a pair of wires, and a coil.

joshqg said:
I read my textbook and I somewhat understand but the things you're saying are completely different to what my textbook is saying so it's confusing me.
Also, can you post a picture of the page in your textbook that seems to be saying something different compared to what Google Images and I are saying? Thanks.

berkeman said:
Also, can you post a picture of the page in your textbook that seems to be saying something different compared to what Google Images and I are saying? Thanks.
Please stop replying to my thread.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
joshqg said:
Please stop replying to my thread.
Weirdest reaction I've ever seen on PF in six years minus one day !
Still confused, or in better shape by now ?

BvU said:
Weirdest reaction I've ever seen on PF in six years minus one day !
Still confused, or in better shape by now ?
Ya I understand it just didn’t want this guy to waste his time replying to my post. Didn’t mean to sound rude or anything

• Informative
Likes BvU

1. What is conventional current?

Conventional current refers to the flow of electric charge from a positive terminal to a negative terminal in a circuit. This was the original convention established before the discovery of electrons and their movement in the opposite direction.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. When electrons move in a specific direction, they create a circular magnetic field around them.

3. What are magnetic poles?

Magnetic poles are the two points of a magnet where the magnetic field is strongest. These are typically referred to as the North and South poles.

4. Can magnetic fields be visualized?

Yes, magnetic fields can be visualized using magnetic field lines. These lines represent the direction and strength of the magnetic field at different points.

5. How do magnets interact with each other?

Magnets interact with each other through their magnetic fields. Like poles (North-North or South-South) repel each other, while opposite poles (North-South or South-North) attract each other.