Convergence and Limit of a Converging Sequence

In summary, the problem is to show that the sequence given by a1=0, an+1=Sqrt(1+2an) for n=1,2,3... converges and to find the limit. One approach to solving this is by recognizing that the terms of the sequence can be written as sqrt(1+2sqrt(1+2sqrt(1+2sqrt) etc.) and that both a(n+1) and a(n) approach the same limit as n tends to infinity. However, proving that the sequence converges requires some additional effort.
Keesjan

Homework Statement

a1=0 an+1=Sqrt(1+2an) n=1,2,3...

show that an converges and find the limit

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have seen something like this before but i can't remember how to solve this.

well i think i get that it becomes sqrt(1+2sqrt(1+2sqrt(1+2sqrt) ect
just don't know how to write it out so i can find the limit

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, to find the limit it is not that difficult actually. Both a(n+1) and a(n) approach the same limit as n tends to infinity, so its just a matter of solving a quadratic equation really.

Takes a bit more effort to prove that it converges though *scratches head*

Related to Convergence and Limit of a Converging Sequence

1. What is a limit of a converging sequence?

A limit of a converging sequence is a specific value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index increases towards infinity. In other words, it is the value that the sequence "converges" to.

2. How can you determine the limit of a converging sequence?

The limit of a converging sequence can be determined by observing the pattern of the terms in the sequence and using mathematical tools such as the limit laws, the squeeze theorem, or the ratio test.

3. What happens if a converging sequence does not have a limit?

If a converging sequence does not have a limit, it is considered to be a diverging sequence. This means that the terms in the sequence do not approach a specific value as the index increases towards infinity.

4. Can a converging sequence have multiple limits?

No, a converging sequence can only have one limit. This is because the limit of a sequence is a unique value that the terms in the sequence approach.

5. How is the concept of a limit of a converging sequence used in real-world applications?

The concept of a limit of a converging sequence is used in many areas of science and mathematics, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can help determine the behavior of a system or model as it approaches a particular value, and can also be used to make predictions and solve problems.