Convergence of a Sequence in a Finer Topology

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a sequence in a space with different topologies. It is established that a sequence will still converge in a coarser topology, but it may not converge in a finer topology. The conversation also addresses confusion about the proper negation of the definition of convergence, and attempts to find a counterexample to settle the matter. The example of the sequence 1/n in the indiscrete topology is suggested as a potential counterexample.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Clearly if a sequence of points ##\{x_n\}## in some space ##X## with some topology, then the sequence will also converge when ##X## is endowed with any coarser topology. I suspect this doesn't hold for endowment of ##X## with a finer topology, since a finer topology amounts to more open sets, decreasing the likelihood of convergence. However, I would like to build a counterexample to settle this matter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I am having a embarrassing confusion with quantifiers. The definition of convergence I am working is the following: ##x_n## converges to ##x## if and only if for every open neighborhood ##U## of ##x##, there exists ##N \in \mathbb{N}## such that ##x_n \in U## for all ##n \ge N##. Which of the two is the proper negation:

(1) ##x_n## does not converge to ##x## iff there exists an open neighborhood ##U## of ##x## such that ##x_n \notin U## for some ##n \ge N##

(2) ##x_n## does not converge to ##x## iff there exists an open neighborhood ##U## of ##x## such that ##x_n \notin U## for every ##n \ge N##

Once this is settled, my goal is to show that the sequence ##\frac{1}{n}## does not converge to ##0## in the lower limit topology (note, I don't actually know if this is the case; but I conjectured it on the basis that it is the simplest example).

EDIT: Perhaps this is easier. Just consider the indiscrete topology on ##\mathbb{R}##. Then every number in ##\mathbb{R}## is a limit of ##\frac{1}{n}##, but the sequence ##\frac{1}{n}## in the standard topology only has ##0## as its limit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
(1) ##x_n## does not converge to ##x## iff there exists an open neighborhood ##U## of ##x## such that ##x_n \notin U## for some ##n \ge N##

(2) ##x_n## does not converge to ##x## iff there exists an open neighborhood ##U## of ##x## such that ##x_n \notin U## for every ##n \ge N##
Neither of these are right.
xn does not converge to x iff there exists an open set U containing x such that for every N>0, there exists n>N with xn not in U.
EDIT: Perhaps this is easier. Just consider the indiscrete topology on ##\mathbb{R}##. Then every number in ##\mathbb{R}## is a limit of ##\frac{1}{n}##, but the sequence ##\frac{1}{n}## in the standard topology only has ##0## as its limit.
This is a good example to work with (sort of trivial, but that is ok for an example). Find a sequence that doesn't converge in the standard topology and show that it converges in the indiscrete topology.

What is convergence of a sequence in a finer topology?

Convergence of a sequence in a finer topology refers to the idea that if a sequence of points in a topological space converges to a certain point in a coarser topology, then it also converges to that same point in a finer topology.

How does convergence in a finer topology relate to convergence in a coarser topology?

Convergence in a finer topology is a stronger condition than convergence in a coarser topology. This means that if a sequence converges in a finer topology, it will also converge in a coarser topology, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

What is the significance of convergence in a finer topology?

Convergence in a finer topology is important in understanding the behavior of a sequence in a topological space. It allows us to examine how the sequence behaves as we refine the topology, and can provide insights into the structure and properties of the space.

How is convergence in a finer topology proven?

To prove convergence of a sequence in a finer topology, one must show that for any open set containing the limit point, there exists a point in the sequence that is also contained in that open set. This ensures that the sequence gets arbitrarily close to the limit point in the finer topology.

Can a sequence converge in one topology but not in a finer topology?

Yes, it is possible for a sequence to converge in one topology but not in a finer topology. This is because the finer topology may have more open sets, leading to stricter conditions for convergence. However, if a sequence does converge in a finer topology, it will also converge in the coarser topology.