Convergence of ∫dx/sqrt(x^4+1): Explanation Needed

• Thread starter MozAngeles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, convergence in the context of integrals refers to the finite value of the integral and the presence of a polynomial in the denominator plays a significant role in achieving this convergence. The notation ∫dx/sqrt(x^4+1) represents an indefinite integral and the integrand dx/sqrt(x^4+1) can be interpreted as the derivative of a special type of inverse hyperbolic function. To solve this integral, various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions can be used depending on the complexity of the integrand and the desired level of accuracy.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

Does ∫dx/sqrt(x^4+1) from x=-∞ to x=∞ converge or diverge?
explain in detail if you can please.
thanks

Homework Equations

limit comparison test
direct comparison

The Attempt at a Solution

...well i have the answer, it converges. I just need a better explanation than the solutions manual gives.

the first thing i did was break it up into ... ∫dx/√(x4+1) from x=-∞ to x=0 +∫dx/√(x4+1) from x=0 to x=∞ then i was stuck, now I'm here...

Physics news on Phys.org
i think a comparison test would work well here...

Related to Convergence of ∫dx/sqrt(x^4+1): Explanation Needed

What is the meaning of "convergence" in this context?

In mathematics, convergence refers to the behavior of a sequence or series as its terms approach a limit value. In the context of integrals, it means that the integral has a finite value and does not approach infinity.

What does the notation ∫dx/sqrt(x^4+1) represent?

This notation represents an indefinite integral, which is a mathematical operation that finds the function whose derivative is equal to the integrand. In this case, the integrand is dx/sqrt(x^4+1), which is a rational function with a square root in the denominator.

What is the significance of x^4+1 in the integrand?

The x^4+1 term in the denominator of the integrand is what makes the integral converge. Without this term, the integral would diverge and have an infinite value. The presence of a polynomial in the denominator is a common characteristic of integrands that converge.

How does the integrand dx/sqrt(x^4+1) relate to the concept of area under a curve?

The integrand represents the derivative of the function f(x)=arcsinh(x), which is a special type of inverse hyperbolic function. The integral ∫dx/sqrt(x^4+1) can be interpreted as the area under the curve of f(x) between two values of x. This is a common interpretation of integrals in calculus.

What methods can be used to solve this integral?

There are several methods that can be used to solve this integral, including substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. In some cases, it may also be possible to solve the integral using special functions or numerical methods. The appropriate method to use depends on the complexity of the integrand and the desired level of accuracy in the solution.