Convergence of Modified Harmonic Series with Digit Deletion

In summary: For ##10^{p-1} \leq k < 10^p## you have no more than ##9^p## relevant terms, and each relevant term ##1/k## is ##\leq 10^{1-p}##, so what could you say about the sum of such ##1/k##?In summary, there are less terms in the series than there are between 10 and 99.
mr.tea

Homework Statement

The problem states: In the harmonic series ##\sum_{1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k}##, all terms for which the integer ##k## contains the digit 9 are deleted. Show that the resulting series is convergent.
Hint: Show that the number of terms ##\frac{1}{k}## for which ##k## contains no nines and ##10^{p-1} \leq k < 10^p## is less than ##9^p##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, it is not hard to show and see the required in the hint, but other than that the sum of less terms will be smaller than the original number of terms in the harmonic series, I am not sure how I can deduce the convergence. Can't see any link to convergence.
I would be happy to get help in this exercise.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mr.tea said:

Homework Statement

The problem states: In the harmonic series ##\sum_{1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k}##, all terms for which the integer ##k## contains the digit 9 are deleted. Show that the resulting series is convergent.
Hint: Show that the number of terms ##\frac{1}{k}## for which ##k## contains no nines and ##10^{p-1} \leq k < 10^p## is less than ##9^p##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, it is not hard to show and see the required in the hint, but other than that the sum of less terms will be smaller than the original number of terms in the harmonic series, I am not sure how I can deduce the convergence. Can't see any link to convergence.
I would be happy to get help in this exercise.

Thank you.

What are the simplest series you can think of?

mr.tea said:
I'm having a hard time understanding what this means. Is this the exact wording of the hint?

PeroK said:
What are the simplest series you can think of?

well, I can think of ##\sum \frac{1}{k^2}##. Still can't see how to use it...

Mark44 said:
I'm having a hard time understanding what this means. Is this the exact wording of the hint?

Yes, those are the exact words. It means how many numbers there are between, for example 10 to 99(included), which do not have the digit 9. Example 19 is not counted, and also 95. So the hint says to show that there are, for example, between 10 to 99, less numbers without the digit 9 than 9^p, and not just between 10 to 99, but also between 100 to 999 and so on.

It was this part:
and ##10^{p-1} \leq k < 10^p## is less than ##9^p##
I think what this is saying is that k < 9p, where ##10^{p-1} \leq k < 10^p##. As written, it suggests that ##10^p < 9^p##.

mr.tea said:
well, I can think of ##\sum \frac{1}{k^2}##. Still can't see how to use it...

I assumed they were aiming for a geometric series.

Thanks for the answers.

Mark44 said:
It was this part:

I think what this is saying is that k < 9p, where ##10^{p-1} \leq k < 10^p##. As written, it suggests that ##10^p < 9^p##.

I understood that the number of terms is less than 9^p, which is, well, true.

PeroK said:
I assumed they were aiming for a geometric series.
Then I need a bit more help here.

mr.tea said:
Thanks for the answers.
I understood that the number of terms is less than 9^p, which is, well, true.Then I need a bit more help here.

For ##10^{p-1} \leq k < 10^p## you have no more than ##9^p## relevant terms, and each relevant term ##1/k## is ##\leq 10^{1-p}##, so what could you say about the sum of such ##1/k##?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a series and a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers, while a series is the sum of a sequence.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

A series is convergent if the limit of the sequence of partial sums exists and is finite. It is divergent if the limit does not exist or is infinite.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence means that the series converges regardless of the order of the terms, while conditional convergence means that the series only converges if the terms are arranged in a specific order.

4. How do you prove the convergence of a series?

There are several tests that can be used to prove the convergence of a series, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of certain expressions involving the terms of the series.

5. Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to one value. If a series has multiple partial sums that approach different values, it is considered divergent.