Convergence of Sequence to e and around e

Instead, it becomes 1/(1 + 1/n^2) * (-2/n^3) which still goes to 0, but not as quickly as you had it before. So, the final limit is still 1, which when raised to the power of e is still 1. In summary, when dealing with ( 1 + (a/n^2) ) ^ n, the sequence converges to 1 regardless of the value of a.
mscudder3
I was thinking of how ( 1 + (1/n) ) ^ n converges to e and I am aware of how if it is raised to some an, then it converges to e^a. If i recall if the form ( 1 + (a/n) ) ^ n converges to ae?

I was hoping someone could tell me how to deal with ( 1 + (1/n^2) ) ^ n?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both of the first two sequences converge to e^a, not ae.

In the last example, the sequence converges to 1. I'll have to dig around for a minute to find something on it.

S_Happens said:
Both of the first two sequences converge to e^a, not ae.

In the last example, the sequence converges to 1. I'll have to dig around for a minute to find something on it.

I see. I just wanted some clarity on how the sequence acts when the degree of n in the (1/n) term is greater than the degree of the entire sequence. Is it fair to say that ( 1 + (a/n^2) ) ^ n converges to 1 as well, regardless of a?

(Thanks for looking into it!)

I'm sorry, I had made a mistake the first time around in my calculuation of the n^2, so I thought I didn't understand.

It's pretty simple to solve these limits. Take the natural log of the function to bring the exponent to the front, then force a fraction by putting the reciprocal (1/n) in the denominator. Use L'Hopital's rule and take individual derivatives. The limit that you get is the natural log of the limit, so you raise e to that power for the answer.

If you need to see it I'll have to play with Latex for a bit to get it right as I haven't used it much.

Edit- The (1 + 1/n^2)^n winds up as e^0, which is 1.

Also, the a constant doesn't matter in that example as well. If you work it out like I said, then you'll see that the constant is still in a fraction over the n, so it goes to 0. In the first examples, the n ends up cancelling out, which leaves the constant so that it does contribute to the limit.

Last edited:
Ya I'm not quite seeing how it works... it is probably due to my own error, let me elaborate.

taking the natural log and pulling down the n we get n * ln( 1 + (1/ n^2) ).
manipulating the n we get ln( 1 + (1/n^2) ) / (1/n)
applying L'Hopital's rule we get lim [(1/n^2) / ( 1 + (1/n^2) )] / (1/n^2)
cancel the 1/n^2... = lim 1 / (1 + (1/n^2) ) = 1
raising this to the power of e, we get e.

I must be overlooking something because in my work no matter the degree of the (1/n) in the interior, the result will always come out to 1.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I found my error, it was in the derivative of natural log lol, it has been far too long.

Last edited:
Yeah, the numerator after L'Hopital (derivative of the inside of the natural log function) is -2/n^3, so it doesn't cancel completely with what you have in the bottom.

Related to Convergence of Sequence to e and around e

1. What is the significance of the number e in the convergence of sequences?

The number e is a fundamental mathematical constant that represents the base of the natural logarithm. It has a special property where the limit of the sequence (1 + 1/n)^n approaches e as n approaches infinity. This makes it a crucial number in understanding the convergence of sequences.

2. How is the convergence of sequences to e related to compound interest?

The number e is also known as the "exponential growth constant" because it appears in many applications involving exponential growth, such as compound interest. This is because the formula for continuously compounding interest is expressed as (1 + r/n)^nt, where r is the annual interest rate and n is the number of compounding periods per year. When n is infinitely large, this formula simplifies to (1 + r/n)^n, which approaches e as n approaches infinity.

3. Can a sequence converge to e from both above and below?

Yes, a sequence can converge to e from both above and below. This is because the limit as n approaches infinity is the same regardless of whether the sequence is approaching from above or below e. However, the rate at which the sequence converges may vary depending on the direction.

4. How does the convergence of sequences to e relate to the concept of a limit?

The convergence of sequences to e is an example of a limit, which is a fundamental concept in calculus. The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index approaches infinity. In the case of e, the limit is approached when the index approaches infinity in the sequence (1 + 1/n)^n.

5. What other applications does the convergence of sequences to e have?

The convergence of sequences to e has many applications in mathematics and other fields. For example, it is used in calculating the binomial distribution in statistics, solving differential equations in physics and engineering, and analyzing algorithms in computer science. It also has connections to the normal distribution, the gamma function, and the Riemann zeta function.