Convergent sequences in Cartesian product of vector spaces

In summary, the statement states that if A and B are vector spaces over ℝ or ℂ, a sequence (a_n, b_n) in A×B converges to (a,b) in A×B only if a_n converges to a in A and b_n converges to b in B as n tends to infinity. To prove this, we need to show that for any ε>0, there exists an N such that for n>N, |a_n-a|_A<ε. To do this, we can use the N value required for (a_n,b_n) to converge, since we know that N = max(N_a, N_b). Therefore, if (a_n,b_n) converges
Greger
If A and B are vector spaces over ℝ or ℂ show that a sequence (a_n, b_n) in A×B converges to (a,b) in A×B only if a_n converges to a in A and b_n converges to b in B as n tends to infinity.

To me this statement sounds pretty intuitive but I have been having trouble actually proving it properly.

My first attempt was to assume that a_n converges to a in A and b_n converges to b in B then it was kind of easy to see that (a_n, b_n) converges to (a,b) but showing that the converse is true seems to be a bit trickier.

To me it seems like if you have a sequence (a_n, b_n) where a_n is in A and b_n is in B that it is 'obvious' that it converges to (a,b) only if if the individual sequences converge in their space. I mean like, if it didn't converge in it's space, how could it converge in the Cartesian product?

Does anyone have any ideas on finishing off this proof? (assuming that I started with the correct idea)

Physics news on Phys.org
Greger said:
If A and B are vector spaces over ℝ or ℂ

Vector spaces?? How can you talk about convergence in just vector spaces?

Do you mean that it should be a normed vector space?

Like in this case |(a,b)| = |a|_A + |b|_B for a in A and b in B

Or?

Greger said:
Do you mean that it should be a normed vector space?

Like in this case |(a,b)| = |a|_A + |b|_B for a in A and b in B

Or?

Yes, A and B should be normed vector spaces (or metric spaces more generally). And you should make a norm on AxB as well. Your proposal of the norm

[tex]\|(a,b)\|=\|a\|_A+\|b\|_B[/tex]

is a good one.

Now, can you write out what it means that the sequence [itex](a_n,b_n)[/itex] converges in AxB? And what it means that [itex]a_n[/itex] converges in A and that [itex]b_n[/itex] converges in B?

For the cartesian product,

For some ε>0 there exists an N such that |(a_n,b_n) - (a,b)|<ε whenever n>N

|(a_n-a,b_n-b)| = |a_n-a|_A + |b_n-b|_B

For individual spaces

For some ε>0 there exists an N such that |a_n - a|_A<ε/2 whenever n>N
(same definition for b_n)

and if you add them together you will get

|a_n - a|_A + |b_n - b|_A<ε/2+ε/2=ε

but then to prove it don't you also need to show that the converse of the statement is not true?

Is it enough to say that

|(a_n-a,b_n-b)| = |a_n-a|_A + |b_n-b|_B<ε

but if there does not exist an N such that |a_n-a|_A <ε/2 for n>N then it doesn't converge ?

Greger said:
For the cartesian produce,

|(a_n-a,b_n-b)| = |a_n-a|_A + |b_n-b|_B

For individual spaces

For some ε>0 there exists an N such that |a_n - a|_A<ε/2 whenever n>N
(same definition for b_n)

Same for the [itex]b_n[/itex], but the N there might be different than the N for the [itex]a_n[/itex]. So how do you solve that?

but then to prove it don't you also need to show that the converse of the statement is not true?

What do you mean?

Sorry I editing my post a bit to make it make more sense haha,

If the N are different then for the a case i'll write it as N_a, then you need N = max(N_a, N_b) right?

Greger said:

Is it enough to say that

|(a_n-a,b_n-b)| = |a_n-a|_A + |b_n-b|_B<ε

but if there does not exist an N such that |a_n-a|_A <ε/2 for n>N then it doesn't converge ?

Are you trying to show now that if [itex](a_n,b_n)[/itex] converges, then [itex]a_n[/itex] converges. To prove this you have to find for all [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex] an N such that for n>N holds that [itex]|a_n-a|_A<\varepsilon[/itex]. Ho< would you find that N?

Greger said:
If the N are different then for the a case i'll write it as N_a, then you need N = max(N_a, N_b) right?

Correct.

Wouldnt that N be the same N required for (a_n,b_n) to converge?

Greger said:
Wouldnt that N be the same N required for (a_n,b_n) to converge?

Yes, try to use that N. So you know that

[tex]\|(a_n,b_n)-(a,b)\|=\|a_n-a\|_A+\|b_n-b\|_B<\varepsilon[/tex]

and you must prove that

[tex]\|a_n-a\|_A<\varepsilon[/tex]

Can you do this?

What are convergent sequences in Cartesian product of vector spaces?

Convergent sequences in Cartesian product of vector spaces are sequences of vectors that approach a specific limit point in the product space. This means that as the sequence progresses, the vectors get closer and closer to a specific point in the product space.

How do convergent sequences behave in Cartesian product of vector spaces?

Convergent sequences in Cartesian product of vector spaces behave similarly to convergent sequences in single vector spaces. They have a specific limit point, and as the sequence progresses, the vectors get closer and closer to that point.

What is the definition of a limit point?

A limit point is a point in a vector space that a sequence of vectors can get arbitrarily close to. It does not necessarily have to be a part of the sequence, but it is a point that the sequence converges to.

Can a sequence have multiple limit points in a Cartesian product of vector spaces?

Yes, a sequence can have multiple limit points in a Cartesian product of vector spaces. This means that the sequence is convergent to more than one point in the product space.

How is the convergence of a sequence in Cartesian product of vector spaces determined?

The convergence of a sequence in Cartesian product of vector spaces is determined by checking if the sequence gets arbitrarily close to a specific point in the product space. If it does, then the sequence is convergent to that point. Additionally, the distance between the vectors in the sequence and the limit point must approach zero as the sequence progresses.