Converges to a holomorphic function on D(0,1)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: Fix $R = 1$. Let $N$ be such that $|z_N|\leq 2 < |z_{N + 1}|$.Then for $|z| \leq 1$ and $n > N$ we have $\left|z/z_n\right| < 1/2$ and hence$$\left|\log\left[\prod\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}(1 - nz^n)\right]\right| = \left|\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\log(1 - nz^n)\right|\leq 2\left(\frac{1}{z_n}\right
Dustinsfl
$f(z) = \prod\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}(1 - nz^n)$

So I a trying to show that $f$ converges to a holomorphic function on the open unit disc $D(0,1)$.

For some reason, I am just not understanding this section on Weierstrass Products.

Physics news on Phys.org
The product converges normally: Pick $K=D(0,r)\subset D(0,1)$ and let $|\cdot|_K=\sup_K |\cdot|$ then
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |nz^n|_K\leq r|(\frac{1}{1-r}-1)'|=\frac{r}{(1-r)^2}<\infty$$
for each $0<r<1$. This implies that $f$ is holomorphic in $D(0,1)$

Jose27 said:
The product converges normally: Pick $K=D(0,r)\subset D(0,1)$ and let $|\cdot|_K=\sup_K |\cdot|$ then
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |nz^n|_K\leq r|(\frac{1}{1-r}-1)'|=\frac{r}{(1-r)^2}<\infty$$
for each $0<r<1$. This implies that $f$ is holomorphic in $D(0,1)$

There is a typo sorry. It should say $\prod_{n=1}^{\infty}(1+nz)^n$.

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Jose27 said:

Even though my question was had a typo originally, how did you come up with this. I see that it will only converge if |z| < 1 so we need a geometric series but why do you have
$$
r\left|\left(\frac{1}{1-r}-1\right)'\right| = \frac{r}{(1-r)^2}
$$
Why are we taking the derivative here as well?

dwsmith said:

There is a typo sorry. It should say $\prod_{n=1}^{\infty}(1+nz)^n$.

I think there's something wrong: Take $z=\frac{1}{2}$ (the estimate works for any positive real number on the unit interval) then for $n>2$ we have $|(1+nz)|^n \geq 1+(nz)^n>2$ which cannot happen if the product converges since individual terms tend to $1$ in that case.

As for your other question, just notice that $\sum_{n=0}^\infty nz^{n-1}=\left( \frac{1}{1-z}\right)'$ (taking the derivative term by term) and mind the indices.

Jose27 said:
I think there's something wrong: Take $z=\frac{1}{2}$ (the estimate works for any positive real number on the unit interval) then for $n>2$ we have $|(1+nz)|^n \geq 1+(nz)^n>2$ which cannot happen if the product converges since individual terms tend to $1$ in that case.

As for your other question, just notice that $\sum_{n=0}^\infty nz^{n-1}=\left( \frac{1}{1-z}\right)'$ (taking the derivative term by term) and mind the indices.
The -1 is what I am unsure about. $\left|\left(\dfrac{1}{1-r}-1\right)\right|$. Where did it come from?

Could we start over with this problem? I don't understand how you have came up with what you have. There are some intermediate steps that are missing that aren't readily apparent to me.

Thanks.

How can I show that each point on the unit circle is an accumulation?

dwsmith said:
How can I show that each point on the unit circle is an accumulation?

Ok so I have an idea. $1 - nz^n\Rightarrow z = \sqrt[n]{\dfrac{1}{n}}$. So how do I show that each point on the unit circle is an accumulation point now?

Is this correct?

Fix $R = 1$. Let $N$ be such that $|z_N|\leq 2 < |z_{N + 1}|$.
Then for $|z| \leq 1$ and $n > N$ we have $\left|z/z_n\right| < 1/2$ and hence
$$
\left|\log\left[\prod\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}(1 - nz^n)\right]\right| = \left|\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\log(1 - nz^n)\right|\leq 2\left(\frac{1}{z_n}\right)^{k_n = 2}.
$$
So the series
$$
\sum_{n = N + 1}^{\infty}\log(1 - nz^n)
$$
converges absolutely and uniformly when $|z|\leq 1$.

Related to Converges to a holomorphic function on D(0,1)

What does it mean for a function to "converge" to a holomorphic function on D(0,1)?

Convergence to a holomorphic function on D(0,1) means that a sequence of functions is approaching a limit that is a holomorphic function on the disc centered at 0 with a radius of 1. This means that the function is analytic and differentiable at every point within the disc.

How is the convergence of a function to a holomorphic function on D(0,1) determined?

The convergence is determined by evaluating the function at different points within the disc and observing if the limit of the function at those points exists and is a holomorphic function within the disc.

Can a function converge to a holomorphic function on D(0,1) at one point but not another?

Yes, it is possible for a function to converge to a holomorphic function on D(0,1) at one point but not another. This can happen if the function is not continuous or differentiable at certain points within the disc.

What is the significance of a function converging to a holomorphic function on D(0,1)?

The significance of a function converging to a holomorphic function on D(0,1) is that it allows for the use of powerful analytical tools to study the behavior of the function within the disc. This can help in solving complex problems and understanding the properties of the function in more detail.

Is it possible for a function to diverge instead of converging to a holomorphic function on D(0,1)?

Yes, it is possible for a function to diverge instead of converging to a holomorphic function on D(0,1). This can happen if the function is not defined or has singularities within the disc, or if it is not analytic and differentiable at all points within the disc.