Converging Seq: Determine Limit of Xk+1 = (k/k+2)Xk, X1=1/2

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converging
In summary: As written, your sequence is xk+1 = 3xk, because k/k + 2 = 3. Is that what you were really given?Yes.
trap101
Determine whether each of the following sequences converge or not. In each case present a formal
explanation. If a sequence converges find the limit and if not determine whether there should be any
converging subsequences, and if so find more than one converging subsequences.

Xk+1 = (k/k+2)Xk, where X1 = 1/2

Attempt: Now I was thinking of taking the (lim k-->∞ 1/(1+2/k) ) (lim k-->∞ Xk). In other words take the limits of the individual sequences and show that they converge, but I'm realizing I don't have an expression for Xk so I might not be able to do this. In the same breath if this sequence doesn't converge, would finding two subseqeunces through by fiddling with some numbers work?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi trap101! :smile:

xk/x1 = … ? :wink:

trap101 said:
Determine whether each of the following sequences converge or not. In each case present a formal
explanation. If a sequence converges find the limit and if not determine whether there should be any
converging subsequences, and if so find more than one converging subsequences.

Xk+1 = (k/k+2)Xk, where X1 = 1/2

Attempt: Now I was thinking of taking the (lim k-->∞ 1/(1+2/k) ) (lim k-->∞ Xk). In other words take the limits of the individual sequences and show that they converge, but I'm realizing I don't have an expression for Xk so I might not be able to do this. In the same breath if this sequence doesn't converge, would finding two subseqeunces through by fiddling with some numbers work?

As written, your sequence is xk+1 = 3xk, because k/k + 2 = 3. Is that what you were really given?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
As written, your sequence is xk+1 = 3xk, because k/k + 2 = 3. Is that what you were really given?

RGV

[k/(k+2)] Xk ...so the fraction k/(k+2) times Xk

.man I need to learn latex...

trap101 said:
[k/(k+2)] Xk ...so the fraction k/(k+2) times Xk

.man I need to learn latex...

No. Just use parentheses, as you did above.

Anyway, the easiest way to deal with the question is to find an actual formula for xk. If you write out in detail the first few values of xk you will see a pattern, and can then prove the general result by induction, for example.

RGV

Related to Converging Seq: Determine Limit of Xk+1 = (k/k+2)Xk, X1=1/2

1. What is a converging sequence?

A converging sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the sequence progresses. This specific value is called the limit of the sequence.

2. How is the limit of a converging sequence determined?

In order to determine the limit of a converging sequence, we can use a formula or rule to find the value that the sequence is approaching. This can be done through various methods such as finding the common ratio or using the terms of the sequence.

3. What is the formula for determining the limit of a sequence?

The formula for determining the limit of a sequence is L = lim n→∞ an, where L is the limit, n is the number of terms in the sequence, and an is the nth term of the sequence.

4. How do we find the limit of a sequence using the given formula?

To find the limit of a sequence using the given formula, we can plug in the values of the sequence into the formula and solve for the limit. In the case of the sequence Xk+1 = (k/k+2)Xk, X1=1/2, we would plug in the values of k and Xk into the formula and solve for the limit.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the limit of a sequence?

Yes, there are various methods for finding the limit of a sequence, such as using the terms of the sequence or finding the common ratio. The method used may depend on the specific sequence and its complexity.