Sequence Convergence/Divergence Question

In summary, the sequence {asubn} = [((n^2) + (-1)^n)] / [(4n^2)] converges to 1/4, as found by taking the limit as n approaches infinity. It is important to carefully consider the dominant terms in the numerator and denominator when determining the limit. Additionally, the sequence can be split into two convergent sequences, further confirming its convergence.
Jess Karakov

Homework Statement

Determine which of the sequences converge or diverge. Find the limit of the convergent sequences.

1) {asubn}= [((n^2) + (-1)^n)] / [(4n^2)]

Homework Equations

[/B]
a1=first term, a2=second term...an= nth term

The Attempt at a Solution

a) So I found the first couple of terms
a1=0
a2=5/16
a3=2/9
a4=17/64

It didn't really look like it converged, but I took the limit as n approached infinity, divided the highest degree in the numerator and the denominator and got the limit to be 1/4. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what exactly is the problem? The limit of this sequence is 1/4, as you have found yourself. I think you made a mistake in your thought proces though.

Lim(n->∞) [((n^2) + (-1)^n)] / [(4n^2)] = Lim(n->∞) n^2/(4n^2) + Lim(n->∞) (-1)^n/(4n^2) = 1/4 + Lim(n->∞) (-1)^n/(4n^2)
The second of those 2 limits goes to zero, because the numerator (-1)^n = -1, 1, -1, 1, -1, ... and the denominator becomes larger and larger. Only taking the highest degree in numerator and denumerator is not enough because (-1)^n has n in the exponent!

Likes Jess Karakov
So because the denominator shoots off into infinity and also because (-1)^n oscillates between -1 and 1 forever, the sequence is divergent?

Jess Karakov said:
So because the denominator shoots off into infinity and also because (-1)^n oscillates between -1 and 1 forever, the sequence is divergent?

No I meant that Lim(n->∞) (-1)^n/(4n^2) = 0 and therefor: Lim(n->∞) [((n^2) + (-1)^n)] / [(4n^2)] = Lim(n->∞) n^2/(4n^2) + Lim(n->∞) (-1)^n/(4n^2) = 1/4 + 0 = 1/4, so the limit is 1/4.

From what I understand, you found the limit by taking the highest degree in numerator and denumerator, but since there is an n in the exponent, you have to be careful.

Jess Karakov said:

Homework Statement

Determine which of the sequences converge or diverge. Find the limit of the convergent sequences.

1) {asubn}= [((n^2) + (-1)^n)] / [(4n^2)]

Homework Equations

[/B]
a1=first term, a2=second term...an= nth term

The Attempt at a Solution

a) So I found the first couple of terms
a1=0
a2=5/16
a3=2/9
a4=17/64

It didn't really look like it converged, but I took the limit as n approached infinity, divided the highest degree in the numerator and the denominator and got the limit to be 1/4. [/B]
The dominant term in the numerator is n2, and the dominant term (and only term) in the denominator is 4n2. By "dominant" I mean that the larger n gets, the more insignificant the (-1)n term is. As you say, this sequence converges to 1/4.

You can split this sequence into two sequences: ##\{\frac{n^2}{4n^2} \}## and ##\{\frac{(-1)^n}{4n^2} \}##. If you can convince yourself that both sequences converge, then the sum of these two sequences will also converge.

Jess Karakov said:

The sequence ##s_n = (-1)^n/n^2## has ##s_{10} = 0.01##, ##s_{20} = 0.0025##, ##s_{1000}= 10^{-6}##, ##s_{1000000} = 10^{-12}##, ##s_{1000001}= -.999998 \, 10^{-12}##, etc. Does that look to you like a divergent sequence to you?

Ray Vickson said:
The sequence ##s_n = (-1)^n/n^2## has ##s_{10} = 0.01##, ##s_{20} = 0.0025##, ##s_{1000}= 10^{-6}##, ##s_{1000000} = 10^{-12}##, ##s_{1000001}= -.999998 \, 10^{-12}##, etc. Does that look to you like a divergent sequence to you?
No need to be condescending, sir.

Jess Karakov said:
Ray Vickson said:

Jess Karakov said:
No need to be condescending, sir.
I don't see Ray's response as being condescending. He was responding directly to something you said.

1. What is sequence convergence?

Sequence convergence is the phenomenon where a sequence of numbers approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to a certain number, known as the limit, as the sequence progresses.

2. What is sequence divergence?

Sequence divergence is the opposite of sequence convergence, where the terms in a sequence do not approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. Instead, the terms in the sequence either increase or decrease without approaching a limit.

3. How can we determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent, we can use various methods such as the limit comparison test, ratio test, or root test. These tests involve examining the behavior of the terms in the sequence and comparing them to a known convergent or divergent sequence.

4. What is the importance of sequence convergence and divergence?

Sequence convergence and divergence play a crucial role in calculus and other mathematical fields. They help us understand the behavior and properties of functions, and are used to prove the convergence or divergence of series, which are essential in many mathematical applications.

5. Can a sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a sequence can only be either convergent or divergent, but not both. A sequence cannot approach a specific value and also not approach any value at the same time. However, a sequence can be conditionally convergent, meaning it is convergent under certain conditions, but divergent under other conditions.