Converging sequence problem

In summary: D ...In summary, the given sequence converges to a positive limit, and using the continuity of the logarithm function, it can be shown that the sequence of logarithms also converges to the logarithm of the limit. This is proven using an epsilon-delta argument, and it can be assumed that the limit is greater than 0.
nuuskur
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

Given a sequence [itex](x_n), x_n > 0[/itex] for every [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} x_n = L > 0[/itex], show that [itex]\ln x_n\to \ln L[/itex] when [itex]n\to\infty[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As logarithm function is an elementary function, meaning it is continuous in its domain [itex]D:= (0,\infty)[/itex] then we have that:
[itex]\forall\varepsilon >0, \exists\delta >0:\forall x\in D\left ( 0<|x-L|<\delta\Rightarrow |\ln x - \ln L|<\varepsilon\right )[/itex]
Provided that [itex]x_n \to L[/itex], then there exists [itex]N\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] such that:
[itex]n\geq N\Rightarrow |x_n-L|<\delta[/itex], from which it follows that:
[itex](n\geq N\Rightarrow |\ln x_n -\ln L|<\varepsilon) \Leftrightarrow \lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \ln x_n =\ln L[/itex]

I googled this problem, but I couldn't find an epsilon-delta argument, so I gave it a go. Is this convincing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nuuskur said:

Homework Statement

Given a sequence [itex](x_n), x_n > 0[/itex] for every [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} x_n = L[/itex], show that [itex]\ln x_n\to \ln L[/itex] when [itex]n\to\infty[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As logarithm function is an elementary function, meaning it is continuous in its domain [itex]D:= (0,\infty)[/itex] then we have that:
[itex]\forall\varepsilon >0, \exists\delta >0:\forall x\left ( 0<|x-L|<\delta\Rightarrow |\ln x - \ln L|<\varepsilon\right )[/itex]
Provided that [itex]x_n \to L[/itex], then there exists [itex]N\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] such that:
[itex](n\geq N\Rightarrow |\ln x_n -\ln L|<\varepsilon) \Leftrightarrow \lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \ln x_n =\ln L[/itex]

I googled this problem, but I couldn't find an epsilon-delta argument, so I gave it a go. Is this convincing?

Are you allowed to use the fact (as you have done) that ##\ln x## is continuous for ##x > 0##, or are you essentially required to prove that first?

Define [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] as [itex]f(x) = a^x, a >0[/itex]. We claim that [itex]f(x)[/itex] is continuous in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].
Fix [itex]z\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]. If [itex]x\to z[/itex], then [itex]x-z\to 0[/itex] and [itex]\lim\limits_{x\to z} a^{x-z} = 1[/itex] from which:
[itex]\lim\limits_{x\to z}a^x = \lim\limits_{x\to z} a^za^{x-z} = a^z\lim\limits_{x\to z}a^{x-z} = a^z[/itex].
We have established that [itex]f[/itex] is continuous in [itex](-\infty ,\infty)[/itex]

Bolzano-Cauchy theorem: Let [itex]f[/itex] be continuous in [itex]D\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex]. If [itex]y_1, y_2[/itex] are two different values of the function, then every [itex]y[/itex] between [itex]y_1[/itex] and [itex]y_2[/itex] is also a value of the function.
Therefore the set of values of the function [itex]f[/itex] that is continuous in some interval, is also an interval.

We have a function [itex]f: (-\infty, \infty)\to (0,\infty )[/itex], which is continous. Its inverse (implies it is invertible - bijection, which it is if [itex]a>1[/itex] or [itex]a<1[/itex]) is defined to be the logarithm function: [itex]f^{-1}: (0, \infty)\to (-\infty,\infty)[/itex].
[itex]f^{-1}: = \log _a (x)[/itex] is also continuous ([itex]f[/itex] is strictly monotone for [itex]a\neq 1[/itex], its inverse is also strictly monotone.)

Last edited:
Google 'sequential definition of continuity'.

Likes nuuskur
geoffrey159 said:
Google 'sequential definition of continuity'.
English -.- We call the same thing as "Heine's criterion for continuity"

Likes geoffrey159
nuuskur said:
[itex]\forall\varepsilon >0, \exists\delta >0:\forall x\left ( 0<|x-L|<\delta\Rightarrow |\ln x - \ln L|<\varepsilon\right )[/itex]

And yes your proof looks OK to me except that you must mention that ##L>0## and also here

[itex]\forall\varepsilon >0, \exists\delta >0:\forall x\in D ... [/itex]

1. What is a "converging sequence problem"?

A converging sequence problem is a mathematical concept that refers to a sequence of numbers that approach a specific limit value as the sequence progresses. In other words, as more terms in the sequence are added, the values get closer and closer to a particular value.

2. How is a "converging sequence problem" different from a "diverging sequence problem"?

A diverging sequence problem is the opposite of a converging sequence problem. In a diverging sequence, the values do not approach a specific limit value, but rather grow infinitely larger or smaller as the sequence progresses.

3. What are some real-life examples of "converging sequence problems"?

One example of a converging sequence problem is calculating compound interest. As more time passes, the amount of interest earned on an investment approaches a specific limit value based on the interest rate and initial investment amount. Another example is calculating the limit value of a moving object's position as time goes on.

4. How are "converging sequence problems" solved?

Converging sequence problems are solved using mathematical techniques such as finding the limit of a sequence or using formulas for calculating specific types of sequences, such as geometric or arithmetic sequences. Additionally, numerical methods such as approximations can also be used to solve these types of problems.

5. What is the importance of understanding "converging sequence problems"?

Understanding converging sequence problems is important in various fields of science and engineering, as they can be used to model and predict real-world phenomena. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of mathematical functions and their limits, which can have practical applications in areas such as finance and physics.