Converging Series: Comparison Test w/ 1/n^2

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of the series 1/n^4 by using the comparison test with the larger series 1/n^2. The speaker then asks how they can show that 1/n^2 converges, to which the other person suggests using the comparison test with the harmonic series. However, the harmonic series diverges, so the other person provides a slicker way to show the convergence of 1/n^p for p > 1 and divergence for p = 1 (or p < 1) by using integrals as upper and lower bounds.
REVIANNA
Mod note: Moved from Homework section
I know that ##1/n^4## converges because of comparison test with ##1/n^2## (larger series) converges .
how do I know ##1/n^2## converges?
coz I cannot compare it with ##1/n## harmonic series as it diverges.

@REVIANNA, if you post in the Homework & Coursework sections, you must include an attempt. Your question seemed like more of a general question, but not a homework problem, so I moved your thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: for ##n\geq 2##: ##\frac{1}{n²}\leq \frac{1}{n²-n}=\frac{1}{n(n-1)}##

REVIANNA said:

Homework Statement

I know that ##1/n^4## converges because of comparison test with ##1/n^2## (larger series) converges .
how do I know ##1/n^2## converges?
coz I cannot compare it with ##1/n## harmonic series as it diverges.

What is "coz"?

Anyway, the slickest way to show that ##\sum 1/n^p ## converges if ##p > 1 ## and diverges if ##p = 1## (or ##p < 1##) is to note that for ##n \geq 2## we have
[tex] \int_n^{n+1} \frac{dx}{x^p} < \frac{1}{n^p} < \int_{n-1}^n \frac{dx}{x^p} [/tex]
so you can get easily-computed upper and lower bounds on ##\sum_{n=2}^N 1/n^p##.

Last edited:

What is the Converging Series Comparison Test?

The Converging Series Comparison Test is a method used to determine whether a given series converges or diverges by comparing it to a known converging or diverging series. It is based on the idea that if a series is less than or equal to a converging series, then it must also converge. Conversely, if a series is greater than or equal to a diverging series, then it must also diverge.

How is the Converging Series Comparison Test used?

To use the Converging Series Comparison Test, you first need to have a known converging or diverging series to compare the given series to. Then, you can compare the terms of the given series to the terms of the known series. If the terms of the given series are smaller than the terms of the known series, then the given series converges. If the terms of the given series are larger than the terms of the known series, then the given series diverges.

What is the role of 1/n^2 in the Converging Series Comparison Test?

The series 1/n^2 is often used as the known converging series in the Converging Series Comparison Test. This is because it is a well-known and easy to work with series that is known to converge. By comparing a given series to 1/n^2, we can determine whether the given series also converges or diverges.

Can the Converging Series Comparison Test be used for all series?

No, the Converging Series Comparison Test can only be used for series with non-negative terms. If a series has negative terms, the comparison test cannot be applied. In addition, the comparison test is not always conclusive and may require additional tests to determine convergence or divergence.

What are the limitations of the Converging Series Comparison Test?

The Converging Series Comparison Test can only determine whether a series converges or diverges, it cannot provide an exact value for the sum of a converging series. In addition, the comparison test may not work for all series, and alternative tests may be needed to determine convergence or divergence.