Convert data from weird to regular data

In summary, the conversation is about a person having trouble converting a file with weird characters to regular data using Matlab. They have tried opening it with Notepad++ but have not been successful. Another person suggests that the file may be in Uuencoding format, which is a binary file and cannot be read as plain text. The conversation ends with a suggestion to decode the file using a program or tool, such as the one mentioned on the Wikipedia page.
Nate Duong
Dear Group,

I have a 30_sec_data.txt with weird characters in it and data.txt with nice numeric in it,

Any one have any ideal to help me convert data from weird to regular data using Matlab.

Thank you,

Best regard,

Physics news on Phys.org
The file is probably not in UTF-8 format. Can you open it with Notepad++ and resave it?

Likes Nate Duong
Borg said:
The file is probably not in UTF-8 format. Can you open it with Notepad++ and resave it?
Dear Borg,
I already tried with it but I can not get any number on the notepad++. Do you have any other ideals?

Thank you so much?

Without more details on the file, it's hard to say.

Nate Duong said:
Do you have any other ideals?
A small note. I've seen you type this wrong a lot. The word is "ideas", not "ideals". :smile:

Borg said:
Without more details on the file, it's hard to say.A small note. I've seen you type this wrong a lot. The word is "ideas", not "ideals". :smile:
sorry, English is my second language !

Nate Duong said:
sorry, English is my second language !
I understand. Just thought that you would want to know.

Borg said:
Thank you so much... :)

Likes Borg
Borg said:

I found the files which I sent out, are uudecode format, but I've never heard about this format...

Have you ever heard about this format?

It seems that you have a binary file - Uuencoding. I don't know where you got it but it isn't a plain text file that you can read. It seems that you have a program file that happens to have a .txt name. There isn't anything there that you will be able to read.

Borg said:
It seems that you have a binary file - Uuencoding. I don't know where you got it but it isn't a plain text file that you can read. It seems that you have a program file that happens to have a .txt name. There isn't anything there that you will be able to read.
After decoding it, it might turn out to be just an ASCII text file. Then it should be easy to read. The wikipedia page you reference can help to decode it.

Likes Nate Duong and Borg

What is the meaning of converting data from weird to regular data?

Converting data from weird to regular data is the process of transforming data that is in an unusual or unconventional format into a more standardized and easily understandable format.

Why is it important to convert data from weird to regular data?

Converting data from weird to regular data can make it easier to analyze and interpret the data, as well as make it more compatible with other systems and software. It also helps to ensure consistency and accuracy in the data.

What are some examples of weird data formats that may need to be converted?

Weird data formats can include non-standard date or time formats, unconventional units of measurement, inconsistent naming conventions, or data that is scattered across multiple files or databases.

What are the steps involved in converting data from weird to regular data?

The specific steps may vary depending on the data and the desired format, but generally, the process involves identifying the weird data, understanding its structure, cleaning and restructuring the data, and finally converting it into the desired format.

Are there any tools or software that can help with converting data from weird to regular data?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist with data conversion, such as data integration platforms, data cleaning and transformation tools, and programming languages like Python or R.