Convert Joules to Calories - 1 cal = 4.184 J

In summary, water has a higher heat capacity than expected due to its unique hydrogen bonding, leading to a larger amount of energy needed to raise its temperature by 1 degree Celsius. This explains why 1 calorie is equivalent to 4.184 joules instead of the expected 1.38 joules as calculated by equipartition.
olop4444

Homework Statement

1 calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celcius, i.e., the specific heat of water is 1 calorie/g-°C. How many joules is 1 calorie?

Homework Equations

ΔU = nαkΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use equipartition to solve this problem.
α of water should be 6*1/2 = 3.
1 gram of water should have 6.02*10^23 * 1/18 = 3.34 * 10^22 molecules
So to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1° C or K, I obtained 3.34*10^22*3*1.38*10^-23*1 = 1.38 J.

However, it is well established that 4.184 J = 1 calorie. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
olop4444 said:

Homework Statement

1 calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celcius, i.e., the specific heat of water is 1 calorie/g-°C. How many joules is 1 calorie?

Homework Equations

ΔU = nαkΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use equipartition to solve this problem.
α of water should be 6*1/2 = 3.
1 gram of water should have 6.02*10^23 * 1/18 = 3.34 * 10^22 molecules
So to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1° C or K, I obtained 3.34*10^22*3*1.38*10^-23*1 = 1.38 J.

However, it is well established that 4.184 J = 1 calorie. What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to PF!

Water behaves peculiarly when heated. It is because of its hydrogen bonds. The molecules not only vibrate around their equilibrium positions, but the hydrogen bonds also perform different coupled vibrations. These vibrations are excited more and more between zero and 100 °C. Water has much more degrees of freedom as 6 per molecule. The bonds can also break at higher temperatures, and that also consumes energy. All these result in heat capacity considerably larger than expected.

ehild

Interesting. I guess I'll learn more about that later in the course. Thanks for your help!

1. How do I convert joules to calories?

To convert joules to calories, simply multiply the number of joules by 0.239 to get the equivalent amount in calories. This is because 1 calorie is equal to 4.184 joules.

2. Can I use this conversion for any type of energy?

Yes, this conversion can be used for any type of energy as long as it is measured in joules and calories.

3. Why is the conversion factor not exactly 0.239?

The conversion factor of 0.239 is an approximation and may vary slightly depending on the specific units used for joules and calories. However, it is a widely accepted and accurate conversion factor for most purposes.

4. Can I convert calories to joules using the same conversion factor?

Yes, you can use the same conversion factor to convert calories to joules. Simply multiply the number of calories by 4.184 to get the equivalent amount in joules.

5. Is this conversion useful in everyday life?

While we may not think about energy in terms of joules and calories in our daily lives, this conversion can be useful in understanding the amount of energy in food and how it relates to our daily energy needs. It can also be useful in scientific and engineering applications.