Calories Required to Raise the Temp of Aluminum

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the amount of calories required to raise the temperature of 26 grams of aluminum from 20°C to 115°C. The specific heat of aluminum is given as 0.22 cal / g x °C and the equation for calculating the amount of heat is provided. Plugging in the numbers, the answer is 543.4 calories, which matches the given answer in the workbook. However, the workbook offers multiple choice options that do not match the calculated answer, suggesting a possible typo in the workbook.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

How many calories are required to raise the temperature of 26 grams of aluminum from 20°C to 115°C?

Homework Equations

Specific heat of aluminum is 0.22 cal / g x °C

Amount of heat = SH x mass x (T2-T1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging numbers into the 2nd equation gives me:

cal = 0.22 x 26 x 95
cal = 543.4

So I get 543.4 calories as the answer, or 5.4 x 102 calories. However, my workbook only has the following as possible answers:

5.4 x 10+1
5.4 x 10-1
5.4 x 10+3
5.4 x 10-3

Have I missed something here, or is my workbook wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert in this, but your numbers look okay to me.

I agree with your answer, Drakkith. It seems to me that your workbook has a typo, unless you copied some of the information incorrectly.

Mark44 said:
I agree with your answer, Drakkith. It seems to me that your workbook has a typo, unless you copied some of the information incorrectly.

Nope, that's exactly what it says.
Thanks guys.

Your calculation is correct. It is possible that the answers in your workbook are rounded to the nearest significant figure, so the answer of 543.4 calories would be rounded to 5.4 x 10+2 calories. It is also possible that there is an error in the workbook. I suggest double-checking your calculation and if it is correct, you can assume that the answer in your workbook is also correct.

What is the definition of "calories" in relation to raising the temperature of aluminum?

Calories are a unit of energy used to measure the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree Celsius.

How is the amount of calories required to raise the temperature of aluminum calculated?

The amount of calories required to raise the temperature of aluminum is calculated using the specific heat capacity of aluminum, which is 0.215 calories per gram per degree Celsius. This value is multiplied by the mass of the aluminum and the change in temperature to determine the total amount of calories needed.

What is the specific heat capacity of aluminum and why is it important?

The specific heat capacity of aluminum is 0.215 calories per gram per degree Celsius. This value represents the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of aluminum by one degree Celsius. It is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of any mass of aluminum by a certain number of degrees.

How does the thickness of the aluminum affect the amount of calories required to raise its temperature?

The thickness of the aluminum does not significantly affect the amount of calories required to raise its temperature. As long as the mass and specific heat capacity remain constant, the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature will also remain constant.

What other factors can affect the amount of calories required to raise the temperature of aluminum?

The ambient temperature and the starting temperature of the aluminum can also affect the amount of calories required. If the ambient temperature is colder, more energy will be needed to raise the temperature of the aluminum. If the aluminum is already at a higher temperature, less energy will be needed to raise it further.